Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 12:07 AM

His Dark Materials

Did anyone watch this new serial tonight - BBC1 8 pm?

To me, it was like a cross between Harry Potter and Dr. Who, and seeing as I can't stand either, I turned it off after 10 mins.

It's on for the next 8 weeks I believe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Re: His Dark Materials

Originally Posted by Mups ->

.To me, it was like a cross between Harry Potter and Dr. Who, and seeing as I can't stand either, I turned it off after 10 mins.

Hi

Missed it, but if it is a Mups said I will certainly be watching.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Nah, the new Escape to the Chateau was on.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

To me, it was like a cross between Harry Potter and Dr. Who, and seeing as I can't stand either, I turned it off after 10 mins.

Is this part of the trilogy by Philip Pullman? If so, I remember reading the books as a child - they were good - especially "The Golden Compass". Didn't know it was on TV.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:34 AM

It looks like a refugee from CBBC. But I still watched it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:36 AM

I found it odd gave up and went to bed to read my book . Its on record so if someone convinces me its worth watching ill give it a go
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 09:25 AM

I watched it and will watch the next episode. I think it takes that long to see how it pans out and if you can get into it or not. I note the broadcast time is at 8.00 p.m, so it looks like it is aimed at family viewing rather than purely at adults.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 11:31 AM

I read the books recently & had the feature film they made of the first book, The Golden Compass.
The film makers never carried on with the series from the books, they never made another film about what happened, bit of a come down really.
If this series is 8 episodes then I guess it's the first book & they'll make the others in subsequent series.
I did watch it, it seems to be following the book The Golden Compass so far.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Once again, another highly cgi'd series with lots of effects but no real story. I'm sure the books were good but these directors do love to drag things out as long as possible. As soon as I hear names such as Asriel, I tend to switch off mentally. Has it not all been done before?

I have to admit that it brightened as soon as Ruth Wilson appeared and there are some good well know actors and actresses in it so perhaps it will improve.

No doubt by next week I will have forgotten what happened and will be back to Netflicks.

I'll give it five.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 12:57 PM

I found it very confusing, maybe if I had read the books or seen the Golden Compass film that might not have been the case. I will give it another watch next week.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top