Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:57 AM

Cremation, Burial . . . or Composted

(Meg/Mags, please move to where appropriate?)

What are your views on this I read today:

" U.S. firm called 'Recompose' is building the world's first human composting facility as an alternative to cremation or burial.
Bodies are covered in wood chips, then aerated.

"A spokesman said: " By controlling the ratio of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and moisture, the system creates the perfect environment for thermophilic microbes to thrive and break down everything."

The process requires an eighth of the energy needed for cremation and saves a metric ton of carbon dioxide per person."

The first thing that came to my mind is it doesn't say how long this process takes.
If it takes as long as normal compost to rot down, there's going to be an awful long queue!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 01:04 AM

Re: Cremation, Burial . . . or Composted

Doesn’t burial do the same thing ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Not entirely - because you are in a coffin/container. With these 'compost' thingys you are usually just in a shroud and covered in wood chips.

None of which applies in my case - I've left my mortal remains to medical science.
Juke19
Sheffield, UK
Juke19 is female 

26-11-2019, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Burial delays the decomposition of the body as it involves the body firstly in a coffin, then buried under the earth, and finally topped off with concrete.

I suppose with Recomposting the idea is to utilize air, natural elements and some accelerators to speed up the process and use the resulting compost in the same way as usual compost.

This system also helps control air pollution which cremations can create.

I'm all for this new idea.👍👌
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 02:57 AM

I love the ocean. I grew up on the Pacific Coast - except for a few years on the Indian Ocean Coast, Perth to be exact. I want to be buried in the Pacific Ocean. An environmentally sound burial at sea is what I want and when the time comes I hope it can happen.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 06:15 AM

A friend who died of cancer a few years ago chose a natural burial in a woven coffin that encased her in shroud and basket. It was the height of summer and one of the strongest memories of the funeral ended up being a number of flies around the body for the entire service. That really put me off this type of burial. It may be perfectly natural but seemed disrespectful when we were mourning. I can understand that cremations cause pollution but not sure how being buried in a coffin is so bad unless you use a rare wood.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 06:53 AM

I think I'd like to be buried with a tree planted on top of me, someplace where dogs can run free and kids can play noisily.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Juke19 ->
Burial delays the decomposition of the body as it involves the body firstly in a coffin, then buried under the earth, and finally topped off with concrete.

I suppose with Recomposting the idea is to utilize air, natural elements and some accelerators to speed up the process and use the resulting compost in the same way as usual compost.

This system also helps control air pollution which cremations can create.

I'm all for this new idea.👍👌
Concrete ?
Of course it’s not the coffin goes into the earth and earth is put on top .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I think I'd like to be buried with a tree planted on top of me, someplace where dogs can run free and kids can play noisily.
Greenfield burial .
Its a nice idea .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 08:35 AM

No Way, "Chips" are bad for you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top