Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 07:49 PM

Re: Cremation, Burial . . . or Composted

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Donkeyman, the first hi-lighted bit about using the compost refers to what the thread is about - humans being composted.
Could you honestly bring yourself to grow your potatoes in Aunt Ethel's compost?

The next bit about the wolves - that might work on a very small scale, except I doubt you could feed them diseased meat, or meat full of steroids, and medications.

Also, I don't know how many people die per week, do you? But if there are a lot, you would need a lot of wolves to devour one after another, after another surely?
Again, I have to ask, could you honestly send someone you loved to be torn apart by a wolf pack?
Burning is grim enough!

Ooh, what a horrible subject!

As l stated Mups, we are bound by our predudices, unless we can
conquer those we are stuck?
I am sure with time we could accept almost anything, just take the
case of the eskimo's not so long ago, they would put their old and
sick or injured outside in the elements alone to either freeze to
death or be eaten by wild animals?
This was socially accepted and indeed expected even by the person
being put out! This behaviour was driven by the survival instinct of
the society involved and ensured a greater chance of the survival
of that society!
So l believe that given time, anything goes?
Regards bDonkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Whatever is cheapest would suit me just fine. The thought of my family spending thousands for an ornate funeral goes against the grain.
Marge has often asked me what I would like for my funeral. Not that she's trying to get rid of me, you understand.

I have no strong feelings on that matter, though as an atheist I have no interest in any sort of religious service. My brother-in-law is a 'humanist' and I can imagine the sort of 'send-off' he'd want. Having said that, I am no more bothered about such things as 'green' burials than anything else. I really have no strong feelings.

At the end of the day, I believe that funerals are for those who are left and not the stiff concerned. For that reason, I have told Marge that whatever sort of funeral (if any) she would prefer when I turn my toes up, is OK by me.

It's not as if I'm going to come back and haunt her if I'm not happy with her eventual choice, is it?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Donkeyman, the first hi-lighted bit about using the compost refers to what the thread is about - humans being composted.
Could you honestly bring yourself to grow your potatoes in Aunt Ethel's compost?

The next bit about the wolves - that might work on a very small scale, except I doubt you could feed them diseased meat, or meat full of steroids, and medications.

Also, I don't know how many people die per week, do you? But if there are a lot, you would need a lot of wolves to devour one after another, after another surely?
Again, I have to ask, could you honestly send someone you loved to be torn apart by a wolf pack?
Burning is grim enough!

Ooh, what a horrible subject!
Was Aunt Ethel Ethical?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It sounds very similar to burial although, as mentioned, it will happen quicker. Assuming it is done in tightly controlled conditions then it's probably not a bad thing. Normal burials release lot of poisons into surrounding areas (that's why church yards have Yew trees, because they suck up the contaminants).

The only thing of course is that it doesn't sound very respectful.
Nonsense, Dongles, it's to keep evil spirits away - everybody knows that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Nonsense, Dongles, it's to keep evil spirits away - everybody knows that!

Nasty stuff, Yew is.

I remember many years ago when I used to ride and had my horse.
The field he shared with some other ponies backed on to a cemetery.
One day when the vet was called out, we noticed hoof marks under the overhanging Yew trees in the cemetery.
The vet pointed said the parish council must be notified immediately as it was against the law for Yew to be within reach of any livestock because of the toxicity of it.

He said he had one client's horse die with the Yew still in it's mouth, it was so poisonous!

This is interesting:

https://www.plant-lore.com/plantofth...urchyard-yews/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:14 AM

Yew is good for longbows, though.
Everything has its good points.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Yes JBR, it says in the link I just put up, about it used to be used for bows.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-11-2019, 01:07 AM

Yes JBR, it says in the link I just put up, about it used to be used for bows.
Sorry. Hadn't read it!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Aha - you are Robin Hood - and I claim my £5 !!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Aha - you are Robin Hood - and I claim my £5 !!
Not really, although I have made two longbows. Neither of Yew, unfortunately (too expensive), but ash.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top