Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Who remembers the 'bomb' shelters?

We've had the prefab so now how about the 'bomb' shelters, who remembers these? The one in the back garden of our prefab home was not of the type buried beneath tonnes of earth but was above ground. When its original use was no longer required it made a good store for garden implements and bicycles. The back brick-built wall of it also made a good support for a greenhouse. I haven't seen one since my early childhood so just wondered who else might remember them:

In 1938, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, Sir John Anderson was placed in charge of air-raid preparations in Britain. He commissioned engineers to design a cheap and simple shelter which could be distributed to the population.

The result: the Anderson Shelter.

https://mashable.com/2015/07/24/wwii...s/?europe=true
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Re: Who remembers the 'bomb' shelters?

[QUOTE=Baz46;1823826]We've had the prefab so now how about the 'bomb' shelters, who remembers these? The one in the back garden of our prefab home was not of the type buried beneath tonnes of earth but was above ground. When its original use was no longer required it made a good store for garden implements and bicycles. The back brick-built wall of it also made a good support for a greenhouse. I haven't seen one since my early childhood so just wondered who else might remember them:

[I]In 1938, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, Sir John Anderson was placed in charge of air-raid preparations in Britain. He commissioned engineers to design a cheap and simple shelter which could be distributed to the population.

We had one of the wire mesh "boxes" in the front room.

Mattress on the floor - quite comfy.

No one mentioned, to us kids, how ridiculously unprotective these were. If the house came down, you were buried underneath it!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:57 PM

They must have been so cold and damp . I just cant imagine sitting in one all night. How brave and strong they all were .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:00 PM

I don't remember any bomb shelters, but I do remember big round concrete 'things' on the beach at Jaywick when I was little.

I think my Dad or Grandad said they were 'Gun turrets'?
They had little slit holes for windows.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
We've had the prefab so now how about the 'bomb' shelters, who remembers these? The one in the back garden of our prefab home was not of the type buried beneath tonnes of earth but was above ground. When its original use was no longer required it made a good store for garden implements and bicycles. The back brick-built wall of it also made a good support for a greenhouse. I haven't seen one since my early childhood so just wondered who else might remember them:

In 1938, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, Sir John Anderson was placed in charge of air-raid preparations in Britain. He commissioned engineers to design a cheap and simple shelter which could be distributed to the population
Originally Posted by Tedc ->

No one mentioned, to us kids, how ridiculously unprotective these were. If the house came down, you were buried underneath it!
Other than pictures of those I have never seen them for real. Just as well probably that the dangers were not mentioned or there would have been some very frightened kids!

I guess the Underground stations must have been the safest places. There must have been thousands of people using those during the air raids on London and the suburbs!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Unfortunately, not always Baz. I recall once reading about the most dreadful incident during the second world war. So found this article..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35938274

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...ich-killed-173
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 03:59 PM

The thing l remember about our anderson was the smell of burning
candles, if l light a candle now l always remember the shelter!
I also rember the blackout when going out to the shelter at night
and seeing the stars, ( in london?).
We only used it till it filled up with water, then we moved back to
the house and us kids went into the gas cupboard under the stairs!
Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Tedc;1823831]
Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

[I]In 1938, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, Sir John Anderson was placed in charge of air-raid preparations in Britain. He commissioned engineers to design a cheap and simple shelter which could be distributed to the population.

If l remember right Ted, the indoor one was called a morrison?
Donkeyman!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:04 PM

Those with a pub in the family had the luxury of the cellar, as did my grandparents with their licenced premises. I can just about remember and to me the cellar seemed huge but probably wasn't.
One of their pubs is no longer there as it was pulled down in favour of a small remodelled area of W10 London.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 04:14 PM

My late Mother-In-Law made me laugh when she recalled that after every bombing raid in London, the first place they used to ask about was the local chippie on the corner of their street, in case they could no longer buy their ''batter bits''.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top