Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Possible upset for some

Why is it when some people meet someone for the first time they say," Pleased to meet you or welcome to our 'whatever'."

It could be Jack the Ripper or Myra Hindley that you are meeting?

I always just say hello and then form an opinion of if I am pleased to meet them or not.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Re: Possible upset for some

I'll take your word on that one Bob...

For myself I don't meet many total strangers these days, although even when I was in business, I still had an idea who they were and why I was meeting them.....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 09:17 AM

I usually say "Hello, how are you?"
It's simply a greeting as far as I'm concerned, without any real sincerity, I can't be sincere to a total stranger.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Personally I don't think it matters! Its just being polite
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I usually say "Hello, how are you?"
It's simply a greeting as far as I'm concerned, without any real sincerity, I can't be sincere to a total stranger.

I agree Mesco............On a first meeting I think " Hello " is a polite enough way to greet someone.

I don't trust anyone until I've known them a while.....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by marpaul ->
Personally I don't think it matters! Its just being polite
I agree Marian also for me it is also about giving everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Marian also for me it is also about giving everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.
Absolutely
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:58 AM

I am always pleasant to everyone I meet, whether strangers or not. The object is to make people feel at ease, otherwise you might find their opinion of you is not what you like.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 11:00 AM

If I am in a group of people and someone is introduced to me I usually say "It's nice to meet you" or "It's lovely to meet you". If I am, say, out in the town and someone comes up to me and says "Can I introduce myself" .... my answer is then "Hello".

I think it is being polite, too.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Depends whether you mean online or in real life. I've always dealt with the public being self employed and I had a shop for 13 years. First impressions are all important. I always greet people enthusiastically. In business you don't want to give the impression you are standoffish, you want people to come back. And when dealing with people say at the council or post office or wherever, you get better service if you are friendly. Take Mollie and her local shop. No greeting, no banter and they lose customers. says it all really. I mean seriously, what are the chances of meeting an axe murderer.

Online I look at it differently. What are the chances I'm going to meet any of you in person. Doesn't matter if you are the second coming or the devil himself. I'm friendly greeting new people with the view that if you turn out to be an ass, I can use the ignore button

Costs nothing to be friendly towards someone, and the rewards are good as it's usually returned. If someone has to earn your trust then the chances are from the impression you give that you too will have to earn some trust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top