Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:36 PM

More 'save the planet' crap

Went into Sainsbury's today to buy some brussell sprouts amongst other things. Sainsbury's in their attempt to save the planet, have removed all the plastic bags. I ended up asking one of the staff where I was expected to put these things whilst walking around the store; in my pockets or perhaps down my socks? I was told that from now on, I have to bring my own bags for loose vegetables or I could use one of their reusable veg bags. 'Are they free?' I asked.... 'No, they are 30p each.'

So despite the fact that I go into their store almost everyday and pay them over the odds because they are closer than Tesco's, now they want to charge me 30p for a bag. So is that one bag or several bags? If I bought one bag and put in 3 sprouts, 1 carrot and five plums, would they have to separate them all at the check out?

To make matters worse, I then got held up at the checkout whilst someone argued about their Nectar vouchers - worth half a pence if they are lucky. With modern technology, why can't offers be added automatically when the items are scanned.

On the way out, I put my half pence vouchers in the bin provided. Guess what? It was full up with vouchers that no one wanted.

So if Sainsbury's is serious about saving the planet, what about stopping all those useless vouchers and saving some trees instead.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Re: More 'save the planet' crap

There was life before plastic bags !

Take an empty cardboard container ( available at all supermarkets )and put them in that .

Or take a shopping bag like your mother did before you .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:53 PM

I will buy a few of their net type bags,LD...very lightweight.

I ain't paying extra. Putting a box on those weighing scales..it would weigh as much as an apple!..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Take an empty cardboard container ( available at all supermarkets )and put them in that .

I already take shopping bags, this is just for loose vegetables. So are you saying that I now have to carry a basket, a shopping bag and a box?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

My local Lidl has a bakery and supply paper bags for the bread, buns, pizzas etc. on offer. If your shop has something similar, perhaps you could use one of those?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I will buy a few of their net type bags,LD...very lightweight.

I ain't paying extra. Putting a box on those weighing scales..it would weigh as much as an apple!..
That's what I'm wondering. Surely they would have to tip them out to weigh them, imagine having 25 sprouts rolling around.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's what I'm wondering. Surely they would have to tip them out to weigh them, imagine having 25 sprouts rolling around.
....we will have to fork out 30p..I will need more than one...but at least they are reusable .

I just hope I remember to take them with me,when I go shopping.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:02 PM

They keep stopping all these things but the price of food isn’t being reduced.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
....we will have to fork out 30p..I will need more than one...but at least they are reusable .

I just hope I remember to take them with me,when I go shopping.
Originally Posted by Artangel ->
They keep stopping all these things but the price of food isn’t being reduced.
And who gets all the 30ps? I know the cost of the plastic carrier bags supposedly goes to charities to pay for the MD's BMW but what about these veg bags? Does Sainsbury's pocket it, thank you very much?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My local Lidl has a bakery and supply paper bags for the bread, buns, pizzas etc. on offer. If your shop has something similar, perhaps you could use one of those?
When I went to Waitrose a few weeks ago they had no plastic veg bags, I was told they were waiting for the new 'self-composting' ones to arrive .

I wanted around like a lost soul clutching some bananas and oranges to my bosom when I remembered the bakery section with its paper bags and I used some of those

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top