Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I’m always amazed that nowadays people freely talk about sex, bodily functions, gender uncertainties, in fact anything that was strictly taboo when I was young, is openly discussed in all the media now, we are even encouraged to talk about these subjects, it’s considered healthy to do so, whether that’s a good thing or not only time will tell, but as we all know this has been tried out before in civilisations since civilisation began, and funny enough the “anything goes” approach never lasted long, Sodom and Gomorrah didn’t work out did it? , seems we never learn from the past attempts to create a perfect society, no such thing in my opinion.
Yet if one dare mention the humble snot one is branded a disgusting pig, shock! horror! he mentioned THAT word! , strange when considering we all carry tissues and blow our noses, and we are not obliged to shield our noses with nose knickers or nose pants are we? We really can be a lot of self selecting hypocrites when we choose to be.
Those hard bits that lodge themselves in the upper regions of the nasal passage are a real bugger to realease aren’t they?
But I’ll say no more for fear of getting barred, should have stuck to leaky bladders, they’re quite acceptable and all the rage now.

Letters are in the news a lot lately.

“He gave his letter to the postman
Who put it in his sack
Bright and early next morning
He got an extension back”

Holy God is there no end to the bloody thing!

Now here’s the King when he was at his best, never a big fan but I always liked him singing this song.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 06:40 AM

Bet Barnier wishes he'd stuck a "No Junk Mail" sticker on his Postbox.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 02:59 PM

When young I may not have liked it but had enough respect for the adults in my life to stop asking certain questions when I was told "We will tell you when you are older and will understand better". We took that to mean it must be a bit scary..and many times they were right in their decisions as were most sensible parents at that time..and although our puzzlement meant a lot of hilarious and laughable wrong conlusions mulled over by us kids we did not feel we had been deprived of knowledge. Anyway we never really believed babies were found under a gooseberry bush did we..and gone are the days of wondering what was under Mums huge smock as crop tops and the naked truth is now there for all to see.

Seeing TV programmes and adverts I cannot imagine nor do I want to think what little is left for young children to ask about or discover about life in all it's ingloriousness as so much is shown these days in all the gory details for them to watch.

Now there's a thought....Our imaginations could never have imagined how TV would take away our imaginations......and leave us with nowt to imagine
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 08:33 PM

When the brother and me were kids our Mother used to have two of her married sisters in the house nearly everyday, they lived close by.
When the weather was bad we would be stuck in the house and couldn’t help hearing the conversations, most of it was double dutch to us but I remember one time one of the sisters was talking about a new neighbour and she said “You all know this is her second husband don’t you, she buried her first one five years ago”
The brother looked at me open mouthed and I looked at him, both of us had a vision of the neighbour with a shovel in her hands down the bottom of the garden in the pitch dark digging a hole and yerman lying cold on the ground beside her waiting to be flung in.

Oh what a terrible though, to take a child’s imagination away, or leave nothing left to dream about, the very precious things that form the adult personality we retain for the rest of our lives, that’s why psychiatrists always take you back to your childhood, to get to the root of the problem, leave the kids alone, let them enjoy their fun while they can, the world will confuse them enough when they are adults, right now the world is being run by mad hatters, and that ain’t no fairytale, it’s a cold hard fact.

Ladies here’s a bit of advice from Bernard Cribbins if you want to bury your chap.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Its easy to be wise, after an event, its best to pre-empt, and not live to regret a regression.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 09:20 AM

I have always loved those types of songs Jem.

Another that always had us in stitches was the brilliant Al Read who sounded just like our miserable weedy neighbour which made listening to Al Read all the more funnier.

To be fair our neighbour suffered from a wife who ruled with an iron rod and rolling pin and he was the only man I ever knew who had to wear a floral pinny to do the housework just in case he got his knitted Fair Isle waistcoats mucky.

He had the last laugh though when he scarpered off with the much fancied buxom peroxide blonde clippie from the local bus route.

Last we heard was they had bought a bar in Spain and were doing very well though no matter how many pint glasses he had to wash he steadfastly refused to wear a pinny.... Bless him.

He certainly learned to be wise after the event.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

23-10-2019, 08:56 PM

I enjoyed that video, thanks Solo.

I love stories like that, hen pecked husband finally cracks and does a runner with the barmaid or whoever, I’ve actually known a few cases of that over the years, surely these tough overbearing dominant women know that a man can only take so much before he snaps. Good luck to your neighbour, the one that got away, long life and happiness to him.
I found that the wives usually had a secret they know about the man, something about him or his family that they could threaten him with, a sort of ace up their sleeve.
In one case, a chap who used to have a pint with us regularly, his “secret” was that his dad was not his dad and he thought he and his mother were the only two who knew that, silly man, everyone in the neighbourhood knew it but were just too polite to ever mention it, she held him under her thumb for years by threatening to tell his employer, a big department store run on the same lines of “Grace Bros” and that would not do, when he learned that his secret was common knowledge he had enough of her and headed out for Canada with the barmaid in the local, the one with the big bazooms who’s shoulder he used to cry on. I often wonder why most of the runaway barmaids are blonde and have big bazooms. (as W.C. Fields used to call them).
Another fella’s mother had committed suicide by putting her head in the gas oven, that was a common form of suicide in Dublin back in the 50’s, you never hear of anyone doing that these days thank God, anyway he never got over that and his wife took advantage of his fear and often threatened suicide if she didn’t get her way, it was a very effective weapon for her, but he got tired of her threats and buggered off with another woman, I can’t tell you if she was blonde and had big bazooms or not because I never met her.
So it would seem that if you want to hold onto your man ladies, don’t threaten him and above all never ask him to wear a bib, as the good Lord said to Adam when Eve asked him to wash up after their meal “Relax man, and stay put, let the rib wear the bib”

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

23-10-2019, 10:30 PM

Have Particles gone out of fashion, now we have a new super, super computer?
solo
UK

24-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Like many back in the days of movies I always enjoyed reading the glossy American Film magazines which gave you the 'lowdown' on the stars.

Unlike today of so much press surmise those magazine articles gave out what the movie studios allowed to be published... so glamour and a bit of dirt was made much of.

Always enjoyed Betty Huttons Annie get your gun and years later read that she got a lot of stick for taking the roll from Judy Garland. Now Garland always came across as a 'doing something addict' and again thanks to the film mags this eventually became public knowledge.

Without doubt the better actress got the part...but paid a heavy price for getting her wish as can often be the way

https://cometoverhollywood.com/2011/...-get-your-gun/
solo
UK

24-10-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Have Particles gone out of fashion, now we have a new super, super computer?
Super computer.....Only those of my age will understand this

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top