Join for free
Page 226 of 370 « First < 126 176 216 224 225 226 227 228 236 276 326 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Mags ->
A very Merry Christmas to all the Keep Fitters on here!

You are allowed a day off today

🌲🌲🌲🎅🏻🌲🌲🌲
And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family Mags, for a moment there I thought you were posting to report on a Christmas Day run you had taken part in.....

Unfortunately (or not as the case may be) Christmas Day fell on a Tuesday, and it's a run day.... so it was up before anyone missed me and a swift five miler...

Today though, is a rest day, and a quiet one. Just Mrs Fox and me and some old film on the telly.....I am just going for a three mile walk to clear me head though....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
A very Merry Christmas to all the Keep Fitters on here!

You are allowed a day off today

🌲🌲🌲🎅🏻🌲🌲🌲
Thank you Mags, very nice of you to pop in here.
You have a good one too, even though I'm a day late with my greetings

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Did Santa bring anyone any workout gear? A get out of jail free pass? Sunny weather wrapped up in a box tied with a red ribbon?

See you all a few thousand calories later .
Ooo hope you enjoyed that cheescake, Suzie. I'm thinking you didn't go daft and venture out on Christmas Day? That's sensible, I think we're allowed one day off a year to feed our exercise-fuelled bodies. Hope it was good for you too

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Unfortunately (or not as the case may be) Christmas Day fell on a Tuesday, and it's a run day.... so it was up before anyone missed me and a swift five miler...

Today though, is a rest day, and a quiet one. Just Mrs Fox and me and some old film on the telly.....I am just going for a three mile walk to clear me head though....
Jeez man! What was I just saying?! Out at the crack of dawn on a 'fun run'. All credit to you, Bob.
A little too much brandy though last night perhaps?

Anyway, hope everyone who posts in here had a great day yesterday. Mine was er, mixed...swiftly on to the training then I think:

Christmas Training Programme Days 6&8*
Wednesday 26/12/18: Legs; Quick-fire alternative session.
1hr. 20mins.
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Unexpectedly I discovered via their website that the gym was actually open today (Boxing Day), which surprised me as it never normally is, so with no fixed plans for anything else I caught up a little with another “2-in-1” session.

My legs were fully ready for a proper workout, feeling very relaxed and supple but I wasn’t up to doing any cardio in my post-Christmas Day feasting (no beer responsible – just too much food), and with the extremely heavy workout I did on Christmas Eve my upper body wasn’t great in parts too (my pecs were especially in tatters!, so I devised a nice little routine:
Elaborating on an exercise which I normally only perform for my “Single DB raise”, whereby I do four sets of reps (40-30-20-10) making a total of a hundred reps, I decided to employ that notion for the whole of this session, legs and upper body in toto. Hard work it certainly was, but I kept the weights mostly at a manageable lift and carried out quite an intriguing yet exhausting workout.

PART ONE: Day 6; Legs
100 reps; 40-30-20-10 (4 sets)

Leg incline press:
40x150, 30x150, 20x150, 10x150
*A nice and steady weight, legs going up and down like pistons.

Adductor:
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50

Abductor:
40x35, 30x35, 20x35, 10x35

Sled leg press:
40x140, 30x140, 20x140, 10x140

Seated hamstring curls:
40x30, 30x30, 20x30, 10x30

Leg extensions:

*That was it for the legs. They ended up looking alarmingly expanded and rippled. 600 reps of varying weights and feeling really well worked. Moving on to the upper body work…

PART TWO: DAY 8; Upper body

100 reps; 40-30-20-10 (4 sets)

Shoulder press:
40x20, 30x20, 20x20, 10x20

Lat pulldown, close underarm grip:
40x30, 30x30, 20x30, 10x30
*I decided on the underarm method as the chest was coming into play too much suing the smaller hammer-type bar.

Seated row, both arms:

Arm curl (machine), both arms:
40x20, 30x20, 20x20, 10x20

Fly delt dec:
40x50, 30x50, 20x50, 10x50

Tricep extensions:
40x25, 30x25, 20x25, 10x25

I did have pencilled in a couple of chest-based exercises but tried a few reps on some Smith benching and the sides of my pecs were complaining severely, so I left them out along with the chest press. No point in over-training as that slows the recovery (and therefore building) process down quite badly. However I still felt like a good workout had taken place today with a total of 1200 reps which can’t be too bad for anybody’s exercise skills.
My next session should be Friday when I desperately need to get back into some cardio work, but don’t hold me to it. It all depends on how I feel.

Tomorrow it’s an afternoon out with the lads but we’re bringing our other halves with us as it’s Christmas, so anything could happen. At least Mrs. Floydy will be able to count how many pints I consume

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Just twenty five seconds separated this morning's run from the fastest run of the year.... And it becomes my second fastest of the year.....
So that just leaves two runs left before I close the book on 2018.

Nice to see Floydy getting back into the swing of things down at the gym... Enjoy your afternoon out with friends, and have one for me...

I'm just getting ready to go to a funeral, one of Mrs Foxes friends passed away just before Christmas.....I'd hate to go just before Christmas, but I suppose when your name's called you must respond....

Good to see Surfermom burning of some of that festive food off...
It takes dedication to run on Christmas morning, while everyone else are opening presents and enjoying the holidays. People who don't run always consider running as being work, and as such should be postponed during holidays, but I've always considered running as my ultimate enjoyment (better than sex!) and it quite enhances a break away from home or a special day like Christmas.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:38 AM

Very nice workout Floydy, and I hope your day out with your friends and wives was a grand success! I know you must be enjoying your days off and getting in your workouts without having to watch the clock. 1200 reps - wow! You are going to need some recovery, alright; but that would probably bury the rest of us . And yes, the cheesecake was decadent and worth every bite .

OGF, I have always said that some people drink to get through the craziness of the holidays while others of us prefer to run around in the forests. While I do like an occasional glass of bubbles, I have found that running lightens the mood while rarely resulting in a hangover . The places I run are invariably deserted on these special days and I do love it. Ultimate enjoyment though? Hmmm, I am not so sure ! And then there is surfing.... Congratulations on your time! You continue to amaze...

A slow moving storm front is sulking of to the west, compressing the air in front of it, settling fog into all the low-lying areas. The marsh grasses, where the snowbirds find refuge, look like the stems holding dandelion tufts, with virtually everything else shrouded in mist. Other than my feet hitting the pavement in rhythm, the only sound is my breathing - huffing, puffing and labored. I am old, I think. I am not so old, I think, and so the beat goes. The trail looks totally unfamiliar; my favorite palmettos and scrub oaks that mark my progress vanish, while long leaf pines become feathery sentinels for every mile. Soaked to the bone, but happy with the result, I ran a solitary six. I wonder what the 2018 total will be? It doesn't matter. It is December and I am still running.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-12-2018, 01:47 PM

I don't know about anybody else but since the world started moving to the right (like some on this forum) it seems to have got darker in the mornings....
Today's five was no exception. Ten minutes past seven and I thought I had been blindfolded as I tripped and staggered across the field, only the streetlights of the approaching alleyway kept me running in an almost straight line.

Not as sprightly as yesterday's run, but tired legs usually follow a good time on the previous day's run...So I just laid back and let the momentum keep me in cruise mode.
With just a very slight breeze and warm for the time of year I shuffled my sleeves up and enjoyed the cooling effect on my already sweating arms. Not much I could do about the gloves though, it would be more comfortable wearing them than carrying them.

Even the shorts got hitched up as I turned onto the lane, it's usually deserted at this time of the morning, but the few people I met were probably used to a half naked old bloke doing his best to resemble a retired sporting icon....I passed the time of day with most of them and wished them a 'Happy New Year' as I sped on my way, some of them uttered something back, but rapidly moving out of earshot I guessed a wave of acknowledgement would do...

The last mile and a half of the lane is probably beyond the scope of the average dog walker and it becomes a time for thought. Why do I meticulously record all of my times and distances each year? Surfermom isn't to concerned about her times... I suppose I'm too set in my ways, and I love statistics. In times of injury or lay off's one can refer to the good times, literally! and produce interesting charts and graphs, and wonder where did it all go?...

I was soon treading on hard tarmac that marked the beginning of my road, and with just a few hundred yards to go I lifted the pace, put on the style for the benefit of any neighbours who were watching me run past, and sprinted for home with the last morsels of energy I possessed......
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Very nice workout Floydy, and I hope your day out with your friends and wives was a grand success! I know you must be enjoying your days off and getting in your workouts without having to watch the clock. 1200 reps - wow! You are going to need some recovery, alright; but that would probably bury the rest of us . And yes, the cheesecake was decadent and worth every bite .

OGF, I have always said that some people drink to get through the craziness of the holidays while others of us prefer to run around in the forests. While I do like an occasional glass of bubbles, I have found that running lightens the mood while rarely resulting in a hangover . The places I run are invariably deserted on these special days and I do love it. Ultimate enjoyment though? Hmmm, I am not so sure ! And then there is surfing.... Congratulations on your time! You continue to amaze...

A slow moving storm front is sulking of to the west, compressing the air in front of it, settling fog into all the low-lying areas. The marsh grasses, where the snowbirds find refuge, look like the stems holding dandelion tufts, with virtually everything else shrouded in mist. Other than my feet hitting the pavement in rhythm, the only sound is my breathing - huffing, puffing and labored. I am old, I think. I am not so old, I think, and so the beat goes. The trail looks totally unfamiliar; my favorite palmettos and scrub oaks that mark my progress vanish, while long leaf pines become feathery sentinels for every mile. Soaked to the bone, but happy with the result, I ran a solitary six. I wonder what the 2018 total will be? It doesn't matter. It is December and I am still running.
Nice run Surfermom and a mile further than me this morning, although conditions here in South Yorkshire seemed like those in Florida today....
Well maybe not quite....
These days it feels just as good to have run the whole year without injury, although early on I was struggling with the piriformis. It hasn't gone away altogether, but no longer interferes with running.

I perhaps was a little hasty with my appraisal of running, but I can run every day if I wish.....and my memory is not so good at remembering the other....

Just one more run on Sunday will bring 2018 to a close, no doubt you'll be hearing from me....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Just a little short post before I commence my cardio effort soon....

Nice couple of runs out both of you It's great to see you enjoying your times and the great outdoors as we approach the end of the year once more
It's perhaps time to look back and reflect...make yourselves a coffee:

Suzie, your overcame your painful bad toe and some toothache problems during the year, as well more personal family issues and that awful Florida hurricane to continue with your running (plus the surfing and some extra-curricular cardio and weights work) and show those youngsters on that university campus track how it's done. Your beautifully-detailed accounts and photographs of the wildlife and sunsets from that amazing part of the world you reside in are always wonderful to read about. I look forward to your every post, especially those which appear on my mobile phone at around 4.30am UK time...they get me through the rest of my shift with a contented smile on my face.

Bob, I guess your most aggravating nuisance of an injury this year was with the piriformis muscle syndrome you went through. There were times I know that you couldn't see any way in getting yourself over that obstacle, thinking that your lifelong running days were terminated. But your fought back buddy, good and hard, and despite the agony you showed us and yourself that a few tentative steps to begin with, then some short walks and jogging a mile or so led to the 5,6 and even 8-miler third-marathons that you are back on today. And to finish the year with not one but TWO personal best times of 2018 is sure to warm your cockles. A remarkable achievement and surely an inspiration to anyone looking in who is considering jogging following an injury. Great work Bob.

But this thread isn’t restricted to the three of us (my own look back is coming soon). There are quite a few other members who have graced these pages with their episodes of exercise over the past twelve months too. I’ll mention a few more of our fitness fanatics:

Roxy with her swimming – those scores of lengths she amasses always astounds this particular poster (i.e. me) when I can’t even stop myself from drowning by merely trying to tread water.
Ruthio, Mups and Lion Queen with their respective flourishes of walking, joining aerobics classes, swimming and general exercise routines. And Bratti building that log cabin from scratch. Anyone who chops tree trunks for fun has my utmost respect!
Tachyon – this amazing chap with those unreal abs crunches…have you got to a thousand yet bud?
But we’ve also seen along the course of this year visits from Norway, Cosmos, Swimfeeders, AnnieS, Rhian and Missy all taking part in their own chosen form of fitness.

Myself, I’ve had my many ups and downs again this year, which 99& of the time are centered around my Godawful night shifts and the lack of time I get during the day. This in turn affects my mind and I go into “drama queen” mode frequently I know. Health-wise, I’ve had the knee issues which almost stopped play fully and the odd shoulder niggle and coughing episodes but, pros and cons aside, I’m enjoying a reassurgence of my fitness levels again. I have even seen increases in strength and muscle size again this year by performing some different types of training alongside the general stuff I normally do. But it’s all to do with fitness. The cardio should make more of an appearance in 2019 as some exciting new training routines I have planned will see me easing off during the week a little to focus more on the harder work towards the weekends when I have more time to myself without having to clock-watch. I’m in a good place at the moment for once!

But as my new thread “Getting fit for 2019” states, we need to see more folk in here. I counted roughly just over a dozen members taking part in this thread this year and I’m sure there are more people on here who actually get up and out and do something to improve their health and their lifestyle.
I hope we don’t put them off with our tales of pounding the roads and the weights, and I sincerely hope we don’t come across as a clique – if more people entered this thread then it wouldn’t look that way, would it? Everybody has their posts and they are all as meaningful and interesting as everyone else’s.

So here’s to 2019, to all of us who enjoy keeping fit whatever the level of that may entail. Here’s to our health!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Back at the pool after 5 days off. OMG what a struggle to get my lengths done, roll on the end of these holidays and things get back to normal.
AND someone sew my mouth shut, I have been nibbling non stop for days..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-12-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Back at the pool after 5 days off. OMG what a struggle to get my lengths done, roll on the end of these holidays and things get back to normal.
AND someone sew my mouth shut, I have been nibbling non stop for days..
Well done Roxy, your ears must have been burning from my post!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 03:24 PM

Was I glad to see a lot of wee pot bellies at the pool. Made me feel less guilty I can tell you.
BUT time to get back to serious swimming again..

Page 226 of 370 « First < 126 176 216 224 225 226 227 228 236 276 326 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top