Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Fibromyalgia

My partner suffers from this and seems to be getting worse do any of you suffer from it and if so what do you take to relieve the pain? Thanks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 11:40 AM

Re: Fibromyalgia

Doc, I honestly think you should stick with the professionals on this one.
People may suggest things that clash with her current medication.
I wish her well.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 01:49 PM

Ok-first. At least it is now being accepted-but try getting a PIP. The truth about Fibro is that there are seldom `good days` but some days are better than others. My friend with it has to take quite a lot of morphine related pain killers.

I wish your partner well-I also wish I could have posted something more positive. There are support groups around and they give great moral support and advice.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 04:58 PM

I have it and Osteoarthritis and CFS, I've tried all sorts of medication, I'm now back on Naproxen and Co -codamol and Paracetamol on a sort of rotation.
Nothing really helps.
I joined a support group locally but found it depressing as it meant two hours of listening to folk moaning.
I find what helps me is distraction. Hobbies, photography, looking for something unusual to snap means you get exercise without noticing how far you've walked. Concentrating on knitting etc. Anything to taken your mind off how you feel is better than medicine imo.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 06:12 PM

My sister has fibromyalgia and they give her lots of controlled pain killers, but are they the answer, because they frequently don't work?
This disease is also called Yuppie Flu, possible a derogatory name, but I really believe the illness is caused by the mind. I am not talking rubbish here because many doctors believe that your state of mind can cause pain and tiredness. I often wonder if a lack of endorphins can cause the pain and fatigue .
I have recently had an horrendous chest infection, which is now on the mend, but while I was suffering I noticed pains all over my body, that I had never had before and extreme tiredness. The pains that I felt were nothing to do with my chest infection, but now I am able to breathe easier and relax more they seem to be disappearing.
I think that putting a fancy name on complaints makes people believe they are really ill... which doesn't help, but making life easier and happier for them often makes their pains less, or non existent. Don't forget that pain is your body's way of telling you there is something wrong, but the problem often doesn't come from where you feel the pain.
Doc, try removing some of your partners pressures in life and make a supreme effort to make her happy... then see if her pains are as bad.
This is just a suggestion but it has worked for many people I know.....including myself when I was fighting cancer. Happiness didn't cure my cancer, but my oncologist strongly believes that the positive approach I had to it, significantly contributed to my ability to deal with it..... and so do I.
I would also like to say " well said Tessa" I believe your approach is the best!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 06:47 PM

I've heard that Malic Acid is very helpful for those suffering with fibromyalgia.

I actually take Malic Acid myself - for Liver Flushes.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2017, 08:16 PM

My son suffers from this also has Rheumatoid Arthritis, he is in
constant pain and has drugs from out Dr,as said the [ain never goes,just some days better than others
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 02:54 PM

I thought `yuppie flu` was a term used for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Fibromyalgia is not really the same although they share similar symptoms.

I do agree though that for many suffers some help may be gained from CBT

But that is not something to be done in a class ,just fill out this questionaire before we tell you pain is in your brain.

Sorry I`m getting cross.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I thought `yuppie flu` was a term used for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Fibromyalgia is not really the same although they share similar symptoms.

I do agree though that for many suffers some help may be gained from CBT

But that is not something to be done in a class ,just fill out this questionaire before we tell you pain is in your brain.

Sorry I`m getting cross.
No need to get cross, my sisters hospital doctor told her that Fibromyalgia is sometimes called Yuppie Flu.
All pain is generated by the brain when your body is aware that something is wrong and sends messages to it..... but it doesn't have to be a physical problem, malfunctions in the brain can cause pain where there is no health problem!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

29-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
No need to get cross, my sisters hospital doctor told her that Fibromyalgia is sometimes called Yuppie Flu.
All pain is generated by the brain when your body is aware that something is wrong and sends messages to it..... but it doesn't have to be a physical problem, malfunctions in the brain can cause pain where there is no health problem!
Twink I was not getting cross with you. Just seen fibro. A good friend of mine has it,together with other problems. Seen her crippled with pain,seen her thinking how to pay the bills when her benefits get cut. That was making me cross.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top