Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 08:56 PM

Re: How often.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for your lovely comment Pixie, and yes, it's amazing how good you can feel after a good workout.....and it keeps you coming back for more...

It doesn't usually happen with old threads Pixie, some threads have been regurgitated intact from the 19th century....
Oh I have noticed that sometimes too - after all this forum has been going for quite some time....maybe its just a glitch in the system and the posts will return soon enough.

I do enjoy a good workout....I used to swim, and felt incredible afterwards. I plan to try wild swimming this summer, all being well virus-wise.

Thank you for your comments. Its always nice to read your thoughts on matters
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2021, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh I have noticed that sometimes too - after all this forum has been going for quite some time....maybe its just a glitch in the system and the posts will return soon enough.

I do enjoy a good workout....I used to swim, and felt incredible afterwards. I plan to try wild swimming this summer, all being well virus-wise.

Thank you for your comments. Its always nice to read your thoughts on matters
Thanks Pixie, I would love to go wild swimming, I used to go swimming with my daughter every week to the local baths, but daughters don't want their Dads any more when they get married and have kids of their own, and the local baths have shut down... The only swimming I do now is when we go to our favourite hotel in Guernsey, but that's off the agenda for the time being.

I used to enjoy watching Robson Green touring the country and wild swimming, apparently he is a fan. Did you ever see him? When I was about 14 years old we were on holiday down in Cornwall with Mum and Dad.

We were sunbathing on some rocks at the mouth of a river, the incoming tide had pushed us off the beach. The headlands were about a mile apart, in a joke my Dad said I bet you can't swim across there.....At least I think it was a joke... I wandered down to the water's edge, dived in and swam across to the other side. It was a private beach belonging to the hotel high up on the cliff edge, I rested on the steps.

A waiter appeared with a silver tray balancing a glass of orange juice in the centre. He informed me that all the guests had watched me swim across, and were so impressed had a collection to reward my efforts. Dad wasn't impressed though when I swam back...... I've always been a nutter....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 06:28 AM

Hahaha! What a great story, Foxy - not bad going for a lad! Yes I do like Robson Green, we watched his extreme fishing series. Local baths are few and far between now, I agree...I took the kids swimming when they were younger, but they didn't really enjoy it much - too busy and too much splashing by other folk, but they did/do like the beaches and sea.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 08:28 AM

I lead an active life with riding the bike, enjoying a walk, looking after the house, physical work on the allotment and other necessary activities. These involve use of muscles and keep the joints bending. However, everything is always done for a purpose and not for the exercise value alone.

Even when I used to ride the bike for miles in a group there was a purpose. It was to keep others company or enjoy the countryside. The exercise aspect wasn't thought about very much. I've tried riding alone to keep fit but get bored with it and now that has tailed off. It looks like lone exercise done for pure exercise purposes isn't really for me.

With the summer coming on, I will walk and ride more in the countryside but this will be more to enjoy the air and surroundings, rather than to get the exercise.

The only time I have exercised for exercise's sake recently is when lockdowns are on. I don't want muscles to become weak and not be able to do all the things that need doing or that I like to do. I have an indoor exercise routine for those occasions. Boring but it exercises the self-discipline.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 11:21 AM

Fully agree with mart, exercise should be built into everyday activity, some actually get paid, indirectly for doing so, its not about being super fit but, maintaining weight, flexibility, and pain free mobility, as long as is possible.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 07:09 PM

OGF, good story. It sounds just like you :lol!

Mart and spitfire, I am with you when it comes to the drudgery exercise for exercise sake, even though that might not sound like it's the case when you are a runner. I may have started running for the sake of getting fit, but if you do it long enough, like any other exercise, you get to the point where you wouldn't miss if for a dozen reasons. Having come to that realization at some point, I encourage people who are just starting to exercise to do whatever it is outdoors, if possible. It really does become part of who you are after a while.

Mart, you are a wise man to have stayed determined in staying fit despite the above. It makes that transition back to the outdoors so much easier. I tend to think that it keeps your other good habits in check too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 09:24 AM

I know people do get a high out of exercise but can't say it's something I've felt myself. When I finished those hard off-road rides I used to do every week (weather permitting), I was often pretty glad they were over. It was the company, the air and the open countryside that made it worth the effort.

I agree with Spitfire about being paid for keeping fit if it comes as part of a job. No matter what exercise has been done since stopping work, I've never been as fit as in my working days. All that lifting and carrying around big old early colour TVs. I was a bit younger as well then though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 10:01 AM

Hi

It is all relative.

Exercise is essential to good health, but it does not ensure it.

We are all different in our abilities and what is easy for one is impossible for others.

It is not a competition, it is about how you can best look after yourself.

I have been unable to run since Easter 1989, I was seriously injured.

In 1991 I was compulsory dismissed, the medics saying I would never work or walk again.

In 1993 I was back at work, part time, on crutches.

It took 7 years for me to get rid of the crutches and then walking stick.

I have travelled the world since then, and you would not know that I am disabled.

I have now had another big change, due, in part, to my absolute refusal to use a wheelchair and stop working.

It is all about the quality of life and living it to the full.

I cannot run, I cannot surf, I cannot still carry 50kgs for 20 miles.

I do what I can and then rest.

My life is very restricted compared to what I could do previously.

I have good days and bad days.

I can do a days shopping with a lady, go for a meal and they would not know there was anything wrong with me.

I can also dispose of an ISIS Lunatic with a machete.

I cannot go for a jog or a long country walk with them.

That is beyond my abilities.

I can still have a good life.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 02:15 PM

You sound like you are making the best of each day, and that's what matters most. There are still good things to be done and had!
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

26-05-2021, 12:04 PM

Can't say that I "exercise" regularly, just getting around in a wheelchair is enough exercise for me

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top