Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Come On England!

I love cricket, and today's Headingly match was something that will never be forgotten.

OMG! Ben Stokes, well done indeed. Our hero. It was so tense there were times during the match that I forgot to breathe. Once again, just as he did in the World Cup, Ben Stokes became the saviour for England.

He didn't celebrate his 50, he didn't even celebrate his 100, he just dug in and whacked 'em with a determination I have not seen in many years. Not since Botham.
Many thought Australia already had the ashes in the bag, but they forgot Ben. He was incredible.

Regardless of the outcome of the Ashes, A knighthood for Ben Stokes is a must.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Re: Come On England!

Brilliant match wasn't it? Stokes never gives up. Leach must also be praised for his single run! Roll on Old Trafford ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Didn't Stokes and Bairstow do well just when we thought all was lost.

I didn't see the match but heard the results on the news
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Didn't Stokes and Bairstow do well just when we thought all was lost.

I didn't see the match but heard the results on the news
Yes they did Meg. Also Root and Denly who started the fight back - my hopes for a win were dashed when we lost Burns and Roy so cheaply, and then a steady build up of runs began. It certainly turned out to be a wonderful match.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:37 PM

What a result, who would have thought that!

Ben Stokes was marvellous!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:32 PM

An excellent finish - was fairly on tenterhooks.

Congratulations also to England Rugby team who pasted Ireland 57 to 15 - could that be considered as another cricket score?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:18 PM

England thrashed the Irish at Ruggers, and really pissed off the piss taking Auzzies when they thought they had it in the bag, come on England.

Put another prawn on the Barbie auzzies
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Well done England! We are really pleased that we manufactured Ben Stokes for you!
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Thank you
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
England thrashed the Irish at Ruggers, and really pissed off the piss taking Auzzies when they thought they had it in the bag, come on England.

Put another prawn on the Barbie auzzies
Yes I sat up in the wee hours and watched the match. Ben Stokes was indeed amazing. Congratulations to England on a brave and successful run chase. They not only won the match when they were n't expected to but they kept the ashes series alive which makes cricket itself the biggest winner on the day. I have been a cricket tragic for as long as I can remember. NObody was more gutted and ashed than me with "sandpaper gate". The Australians fully expected to cop it from the crowd this series. And I think they copped - and are copping it well - and giving England a damned good contest as well. AS far as piss taking goes Bassa though. Do you really think it's only us that are guilty of that?..The "You all live in a convict colony" song has been going a lot longer than since last year...We can take it cobber. And yes we can dish it out too. But please don't make out that piss taking is a characteristic that is peculiar only to us. I've been hearing Poms rubbish Australia since I was old enough to talk mate. And it was by no means always in jest. And ..I don't think Australia can be accused of underestimating the England team at any stage. You have a good team. Archer is a demon, Stokes is what he is - a hero it seems; and everybody here says what a fine young captain/ cricketer and gentleman Joe Root is. May the best team win the series.

PS. It's a ruddy cold winter here. Lots of sub Antarctic
blasts. OK for the odd night around the fire bowl but not
really BBQ weather right now. All prawns cooked and
eaten indoors thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top