Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 10:41 PM

Please Can Anyone Recommend A Mobile Phone Insurance company?

My daughter has bought a new iPhone mobile phone. Her last iPhone was stolen not long ago and was not insured.
She has looked at different insurance companies but they vary so much in price and the level of cover.

Someone suggested, she might be insured with her bank or under House Contents Insurance.

So l wondered, if you have your mobile phone insured and who with? Would you recommend them?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Re: Please Can Anyone Recommend A Mobile Phone Insurance company?

It's been my experience that the insurance designed for mobiles phones isn't worth the paper it's printed on - they always look for ways to get out of paying for any repairs citing any problems are caused by wear and tear. You just try and prove that a phone was lost or stolen also, they assume that phone's owner is trying to pull a fast one.

You could get the phone covered as part of your home insurance - some info here for you.

https://www.uswitch.com/home-insuran...one-insurance/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's been my experience that the insurance designed for mobiles phones isn't worth the paper it's printed on - they always look for ways to get out of paying for any repairs citing any problems are caused by wear and tear. You just try and prove that a phone was lost or stolen also, they assume that phone's owner is trying to pull a fast one.

You could get the phone covered as part of your home insurance - some info here for you.

A good article .....

My phones are covered by my Home Contents insurance policy but, as the article above says, there are limitations:

Although insuring your mobile phone on your contents insurance is a great option for many, there are some limitations and alternatives you may want to consider.

The first thing to understand is what happens if you make a claim. To make any claim on your home contents insurance, you’ll have to pay the excess you agreed with your insurer. And because your mobile phone is just another item covered by your contents insurance policy, you will have to pay the full excess — even if the only item you’re claiming for is your mobile phone.

However, if your mobile is worth several hundreds of pounds, as many smartphones are, you may be willing to take this risk. You may also choose a low excess if your insurer offers this option, so you won’t end up paying more in excess than the phone is worth.

You should also be aware that claiming for your mobile phone on your contents insurance could result in your contents insurance premium increasing when it comes to renewal time.
In my case the risk of loss or damage is minimal but, because I have chosen a low policy excess, I would always make a claim, if necessary, since the cost of replacement is 4X the excess and multiple claims per year are permitted.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Thank You, Judd.
Someone else told me that the insurers will find a way to get out of paying, especially for theft. The insurers will say, it was your carelessness if you put the phone down somewhere and someone stole it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

12-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A good article .....

My phones are covered by my Home Contents insurance policy but, as the article above says, there are limitations:

In my case the risk of loss or damage is minimal but, because I have chosen a low policy excess, I would always make a claim, if necessary, since the cost of replacement is 4X the excess and multiple claims per year are permitted.
Thank You, Omah.
I will tell her to inquire about Home Contents insurance, which l bet she hasn’t got!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top