Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 04:34 PM

Re: Images of Hull

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I used to visit Hull quite frequently on business. Mostly to a company on Amsterdam Road in Sutton Fields area. We collaborated on quite a few projects world wide.

I never really got to know the city although I do recognise some of the shots.

Thanks for sharing.
No worries, Bes. I live within walking distance of Sutton fields...that is when I can walk properly lol. There will be more photos soon

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Great photos Floydy.

My memories of Hull started decades ago when I was training, a 3am start at the fish docks.

My dad move to Hornsea to retire and I have many memories of taking the kids to Hull when we went to see him.

Very friendly people as well.
Thanks Swimmy. Yes we're all very friendly (when we're not grumpy first thing in the mornings)

I go to Hornsea a lot just for a walk along the front. It's a pleasant village.
You've definitely given me a good idea for a future photo session for this thread. I'll see if I can get there maybe next week
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 04:50 PM

Interesting photographs of where you live Floydy, your mobile does well. Is that the mobile you resurrected after finding just a blank screen and then rebooting it?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Interesting photographs of where you live Floydy, your mobile does well. Is that the mobile you resurrected after finding just a blank screen and then rebooting it?
Lol yes Baz, it is. It's still going strong. I need a new one solely because this one only has a small memory on it, 2GB and I need something that will at least enable me to keep a few apps on it and download some music.
I very nearly have these photos though because as I took my jacket out of my car boot this lunchtime, I didn't notice my phone had fallen out under my car.
I was panicking in the pub where I met my friend for a coffee so I retraced my steps and luckily I saw it!
That would have just added to my problems nicely!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Lol yes Baz, it is. It's still going strong. I need a new one solely because this one only has a small memory on it, 2GB and I need something that will at least enable me to keep a few apps on it and download some music.
I very nearly have these photos though because as I took my jacket out of my car boot this lunchtime, I didn't notice my phone had fallen out under my car.
I was panicking in the pub where I met my friend for a coffee so I retraced my steps and luckily I saw it!
That would have just added to my problems nicely!
Photos are memory hungry I know from my own iPhone, is it not possible to upload them to the Cloud, or whatever it is on non-iPhones? I mostly use a Sony 'point-and-shoot' or Canon EOS 100D camera rather than the iPhone so don't get to running out of memory.

No, you don't really want any more problems, unless you are a real glutton for punishment!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Great photos, Floydy. I have often been to Hull on Genealogy research trips. A lot of my extended family came from there - some stories/portraits of their exploits are now in the Maritime Museum there.

As the family archivist I have inherited/been given several interesting documents - one of which is an apprenticeship indenture dating from the time of George III. The young man was training with a Hull Shipwright and, eventually, became a Master Carpenter.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 08:08 PM

Floydy

Excellent photos, telling a story

Ships of all kind fascinate me
Is there still a working Shipyard in Hull, where many famous Ships were built?
I used to live in New Brighton Wallasey across the Mersey and at the Weekend all the Stevadores from Liverpool Docks use to come and frequent the Pubs.they seem to have lots of money to spend.
At closing time, they use to come out singing 'Maggie May'

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Great photos, Floydy. I have often been to Hull on Genealogy research trips. A lot of my extended family came from there - some stories/portraits of their exploits are now in the Maritime Museum there.

As the family archivist I have inherited/been given several interesting documents - one of which is an apprenticeship indenture dating from the time of George III. The young man was training with a Hull Shipwright and, eventually, became a Master Carpenter.
That's interesting, Tabby. Are you far from Hull yourself then?
The Maritime Museum has just been given a Lotto and government grant for a complete refurbish with some new attractions (obviously the glorious exterior of the building will not be touched) and I last went there in the spring to have a look around. It's very interesting and there is a rich history in Hull of course
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Floydy

Excellent photos, telling a story

Ships of all kind fascinate me
Is there still a working Shipyard in Hull, where many famous Ships were built?
I used to live in New Brighton Wallasey across the Mersey and at the Weekend all the Stevadores from Liverpool Docks use to come and frequent the Pubs.they seem to have lots of money to spend.
At closing time, they use to come out singing 'Maggie May'

Hi Azure.
I don't think there is a shipyard as such anymore but there are a couple on the Marina I saw that repair them, some large boatyards.
We have a Maritime Weekend each year that sees a lot of the old town pubs partaking in sea shanties and folk songs. People just simply turn up and tell their tales of the sea, mostly old fishermen. It's very interesting and also poignant too.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's interesting, Tabby. Are you far from Hull yourself then?
The Maritime Museum has just been given a Lotto and government grant for a complete refurbish with some new attractions (obviously the glorious exterior of the building will not be touched) and I last went there in the spring to have a look around. It's very interesting and there is a rich history in Hull of course
I am on the outskirts of good old Eboracum, Floydy, would be good to go to Hull again and see if the family portraits are still there.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-10-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am on the outskirts of good old Eboracum, Floydy, would be good to go to Hull again and see if the family portraits are still there.
Really? I never knew you were a Yorkshire lass, Tabby! That's lovely

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top