Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Suv

Sports utility vehicle. SUV.
Vehicle it is.
Utility it may be but so is an estate car.
Sports...........c'mon....
And who really needs four wheel drive?????
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 10:08 PM

Re: Suv

Had a new Ford Maverick in 1994, had to hold the up and over garage door up with a broom, to stop it scratching the roof.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2019, 10:09 PM

Nowt new.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Sports utility vehicle. SUV.
Vehicle it is.
Utility it may be but so is an estate car.
Sports...........c'mon....
And who really needs four wheel drive?????
I loved my SUV when I was driving around in the snow fixing people's frozen and burst water pipes. Unfortunately, some old girl took a dislike to it and wrote it off. I have a sensible 2 wheel drive now which is much cheaper to run but nowhere near as sturdy.

Utility just means 'useful' which it was, it even had a picnic table in the back. I never understood the 'sports' bit though, 0-60 in about 14 seconds.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I loved my SUV when I was driving around in the snow fixing people's frozen and burst water pipes. Unfortunately, some old girl took a dislike to it and wrote it off. I have a sensible 2 wheel drive now which is much cheaper to run but nowhere near as sturdy.

Utility just means 'useful' which it was, it even had a picnic table in the back. I never understood the 'sports' bit though, 0-60 in about 14 seconds.
Thats thendifference now LD, the sports means the ability to at
least compete with sports cars on accellaration as most of them
generate from 200 - 400 nm of torque nowadays!!
Regards Donkeyman!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

22-10-2019, 07:26 AM

The sport bit probably infers that the vehicle is well up to carting all your sport related regalia about, your cricket bat, snowboard, sub-aqua equipment etc etc.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2019, 08:31 AM

I learnt to drive, in my early teens, in a Landrover.

Through rivers, up mountainsides, now that's sport.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I learnt to drive, in my early teens, in a Landrover.

Through rivers, up mountainsides, now that's sport.
As did I.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:40 PM

I believe SUVs were invented in America for no other reason than to get around a tax law. A utility vehicle was taxed at a lower rate than other types of car.

I learned to drive on a Massey Ferguson 135 track-er on a varm in Kernow.

It were not zackerly sporty, but er was indeferably a utility vee-hickle.
Two throttles, two clutches, differential lock, and two brake pedals with the ability to lock one back wheel and do a U-turn in a tractor width was fun.

All with only two wheel drive as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:55 PM

I love 4X4 and SUV's and had owned many . Easy to get into with plenty of head room, no ducking down as in my wifes honda civic estate. My Nissan xtrail Tenka is a 7 seater and the vehicles weight allows a higher weight towing capacity than an estate car. Ok 55/60mpg is not the best in the world Honda Civic 70mpg but is still a good fuel range in the tank.

Oh An SUV is 2x4 switchable to a 4x4 Besoeker not what you say quote" And who really needs four wheel drive????? unquote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top