Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 04:31 PM

Restoring Quarry Tiles

I have just had a new kitchen installed and pulling back the lino has revealed red quarry tiles all undamaged but with a lot of glue and other marks on them. I am going to try and restore them. Has anyone done the same and have any tips for me. I have bought some stuff from Wickes which should help but I don't think its going to be easy. I really want to do it though and clean up the tiles which I will then apply polish to and I should end up with a really nice natural looking floor.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Val
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-10-2011, 05:01 PM

Re: Restoring Quarry Tiles

Hi Val,
Try some Lithofin FZ Intensive Cleaner, I think it is still available and most good tile shops should still stock it.

Personally I would not recommend that you use any sealer, polish, wax, or other oils on the quarry tiles.
The tiles are very moisture resistant and applying such treatments detracts from the natural slip-resistant properties of the tiles and also provides a host that could seal in dirt and other nasties.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Hi Val,
Try some Lithofin FZ Intensive Cleaner, I think it is still available and most good tile shops should still stock it.

Personally I would not recommend that you use any sealer, polish, wax, or other oils on the quarry tiles.
The tiles are very moisture resistant and applying such treatments detracts from the natural slip-resistant properties of the tiles and also provides a host that could seal in dirt and other nasties.
Hi George and thanks for that. I have found stockists of it but it seems to be recommended for porcelain tiles rather that stone tiles. Do you think it would still be OK?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Hi George and thanks for that. I have found stockists of it but it seems to be recommended for porcelain tiles rather that stone tiles. Do you think it would still be OK?
Hi Val,
As far as I know it will be ok on quarry tiles as well as ceramic or porcelain. It is solvent free and alkaline but a concentrate.

If you are a little worried about it why not dilute some of the concentrate 1:10 with some lukewarm water and try a test piece. Give a small area a good scrub with the dilute mixture and let it work for about 10 to 15 minutes giving it a good agitation every now and then so you don't let it dry out.

Rinse off with clean cold water and dry the area. If that is ok then perhaps you could try a neat solution on the heavier stained areas.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Sounds like you have set yourself quite a task, Val ...... I hope you can restore them , they should look really nice in your kitchen...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 06:22 PM

There is a wealth of knowledge in these threads.Ask and it shall be given to ye, scriptures according to Annie.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 10:30 PM

What a wonderful find. My kitchen floor is tiled, but not quarry tiles. They're ceramic which my partner laid down for me a few years ago.

As has been said, never polish them though because, if you drop a bit of oil or fat and don't notice, you could very easily do yourself a mischief if you slip on it.

Let us know how you get on. How about some before and after photos?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 10:51 PM

I did my old house some years ago and used red quarry tile polish which came in a tin rather like boot polish and it gave them a lovely warm depth and didnt make them slippery in the slightest. We got rid of the glue with some purpose tile cleaner bought from a proper hardwear store. I dont remember its name im afraid.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Red Gumption, Cassie. That's what that was called. I'd forgotten about that until you posted.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2011, 11:32 PM

Thats the stuff!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top