Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Re: Pigs

If anyone does even the most basic research they will find the abuse of pigs extends across the whole spectrum of farmed animals.
Have pity for the poor cows having to live with painfully swollen udders for all their lives. How would you like that? By the way they are prone to abscesses and infection and pus gets into the milk, along with the antibiotics.
Posting sarcastic posts about how to roast a pig is not presenting the other side, it's just crass.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 12:26 PM

But it wasn't sarcastic. If you had read my previous post you would have seen that I said that I have respect for the opinions of those who do not believe in eating animals - but by the same token I expect them to respect my opinion also.

As before, I ask why the thread starter has only mentioned pigs - and asked why she did not mention other animals.

I live in the countryside and several of our friends are farmers - without exception their animals are healthy and well-cared for. They are the farmers' livelihoods so it would not pay them to neglect or ill-treat their animals. As for cows' udders being swollen - do you not know that they are milked twice, sometimes three times a day? If they are not looked after treated and fed well, then the milk will not be of adequate quality to sell, and again the farmer would lose his livelihood. And because the milk is regularly and stringently tested there is no way that milk that is commercially produced could have bacteria or pus in it- someone has been feeding you poor information.

So why would farmers ill-treat their animals when they and their families would be the ones who ultimately would come out of that the worst?

I am confident that the meat I buy from my butcher comes from animals that have been properly raised outdoors, fed properly, and treated with respect.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
Muddy - you clearly have strong feelings about this (and I have no problem with that even though I do not share them) - why mention only pigs, are your feelings different towards cows, sheep, chickens, deer? If so, why is that? Not so funny or cute?
I am not so shallow .
My feelings in this encompass all animals .
However I decided to make this topic about pigs .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
If anyone does even the most basic research they will find the abuse of pigs extends across the whole spectrum of farmed animals.
Have pity for the poor cows having to live with painfully swollen udders for all their lives. How would you like that? By the way they are prone to abscesses and infection and pus gets into the milk, along with the antibiotics.
Posting sarcastic posts about how to roast a pig is not presenting the other side, it's just crass.
Indeed you are right Xandra cruelty is endemic in in the production of food from domestic animals .
The chicken is probably the most abused animal on the planet
As for the crass posts some I am afraid some people just lack the gene for compassion and a sense of what is appropriate .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 12:55 PM

Muddy - you clearly have strong feelings about this (and I have no problem with that even though I do not share them) - why mention only pigs, are your feelings different towards cows, sheep, chickens, deer? If so, why is that? Not so funny or cute?
The thread title was Pigs, perhaps if the title was Farmed Animals Muds might have mentioned them too?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 01:01 PM

Presumably she meant farmed pigs as they are not wild animals?
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Indeed you are right Xandra cruelty is endemic in in the production of food from domestic animals .
The chicken is probably the most abused animal on the planet
As for the crass posts some I am afraid some people just lack the gene for compassion and a sense of what is appropriate .
I am afraid you are wrong on every point - but then your visibility must be somewhat restricted as you have positioned yourself so far up on the moral high ground.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-10-2019, 01:08 PM

But it wasn't sarcastic. If you had read my previous post you would have seen that I said that I have respect for the opinions of those who do not believe in eating animals - but by the same token I expect them to respect my opinion also.
It was of course sarcastic .
Gloating over crackling ( which is terribly bad for the arteries ) is totally inappropriate in a thread about cruelty to animals .
Then you have the audacity to demand respect ?

I live in the countryside and several of our friends are farmers - without exception their animals are healthy and well-cared for. They are the farmers' livelihoods so it would not pay them to neglect or ill-treat their animals. As for cows' udders being swollen - do you not know that they are milked twice, sometimes three times a day? If they are not looked after treated and fed well, then the milk will not be of adequate quality to sell, and again the farmer would lose his livelihood. And because the milk is regularly and stringently tested there is no way that milk that is commercially produced could have bacteria or pus in it- someone has been feeding you poor information.

So why would farmers ill-treat their animals when they and their families would be the ones who ultimately would come out of that the worst?
Farmers need to make a profit and they do it by treating living creatures as milk machines .
The cows are impregnated every year in order to produce lactation .The calves are removed within hours of birth causing the animal acute distress .
Male calves are raised without a mother and slaughtered for veal.
The cows swollen udders are not natural .
A cow only has a large udder when the calf is tiny and needs lots of thin milk . As the grows the cows udder reduces in size .
Dairy cows are kept in a perpetual state of lactation which soon wears them out . Usually at about 5 years old at which point the cow is slaughtered for pies and burgers .
( a cows natural lifespan is 25 years)
BTW I live in the country too .
And while your butcher may be genuine and assure you it’s all well reared meat he probably buys from a market cows he has never seen before.
He is unlikely to buy old dairy cows as these go for pie fillings burgers or animal food

Plus he’s hardly likely to tell you otherwise is he ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-10-2019, 01:11 PM

I am afraid you are wrong on every point - but then your visibility must be somewhat restricted as you have positioned yourself so far up on the moral high ground.
I am afraid I am not wrong .
As for the moral high ground -the only place to be where cruelty to animals is concerned .
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 01:16 PM

My, my Muddy - you are amazing, wrong, but amazing . . . you know more about what I write than I do, and you know how my butcher stocks his shop as well

Yes, that was sarcastic!

My earlier post was not sarcastic -just because you choose to portray it that way, does not mean it is so, and it does not matter how many times you repeat it.

No, my butcher does not buy in other animals - it is a family business, and part of a farming family. He is a friend, and I have seen many of the animals they rear both on their farms,and in various parts of this part of the county where they are grazed - I would not buy meat from this butcher if I was not confident in how it had been produced and the provenance was not genuine and traceable. I never buy meat or meat products from a supermarket. I have no doubt, with your amazing mind reading skills, you will dismiss all this but so what.

Somehow, I thought you might say you lived in the country . . .

I will say again - if you choose not to eat meat, then that is your opinion - I do not agree with your opinion, but I respect it, and would not be so arrogant as to try to change it.

By the same token, you must accept my opinion with respect, rather than arrogant virtue-signalling and snide remarks.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top