Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Re: Football legend Paul Gascoigne charged with sex assault on Durham train

Paul Gascoigne train kiss trial: Ex-footballer 'lied and lied and lied'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50068110

Ex-England footballer Paul Gascoigne "lied and lied and lied" when he told a jury he kissed a woman on a train to comfort her, a court has heard.

Prosecutor William Mousley QC said the ex-player had "put up a smokescreen".

In his closing speech to the jury, Mr Mousley said of Mr Gascoigne's account: "Right from the start, members of the jury, he lied, and lied, and lied.

"He lied right up to and including the time when he was giving evidence in court yesterday.

"There's an obvious reason as to why he lied and that's because he knows he is guilty of sexual assault but wants to put up a smokescreen, cause a diversion, suggest it was not, as it so obviously was."

Mr Mousley said of the kiss: "Either it was an unpleasant assault, or it was an act of kindness. Guilty if the former, not-guilty if it were the latter.

"This is a case, we submit, about truth and lies.

"There is a stark difference between the two and we submit that if you approach this case by deciding which facts you are sure about, that will lead you to a conclusion one way or the other."

Judge Peter Armstrong told the jury that if they all agreed the defendant was not guilty of sexual assault, they could consider a lesser offence of assault by beating.

The trial continues.
BIB - A type of common assault - the maximum sentence allowed by law for common assault is six months imprisonment.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Katerina ->
None of which is any excuse for assaulting other people.

But anyway, sometimes there are just no excuses. Some people behave in such a manner simply because they want to.

I agree.

I wonder if those who defend him would feel the same if it was their wife/daughter he slobbered over!

Over the years, this man has had so many offers of help, both from friends and professionals, probably a lot more than many other unfortunates would ever get.
Yet from what I can see, he has still carried on his own way regardless.
I ran out of sympathy for him a long time ago.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree.

I wonder if those who defend him would feel the same if it was their wife/daughter he slobbered over!
I think we both know the answer to that Mups
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree.

Over the years, this man has had so many offers of help, both from friends and professionals, probably a lot more than many other unfortunates would ever get.
Yet from what I can see, he has still carried on his own way regardless.
I ran out of sympathy for him a long time ago.

If he slobbered over my daughter,...knowing that he has an alcohol addiction...then I would understand...doesn't make it right.

He needs to help himself ..but unfortunately IMO...the drink is far stronger than his mental state.

In other words he can't overcome the strength of the booze...I don't think he ever will....very sad,
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 05:22 PM

You would understand him doing it - and how do you think that would make your daughter feel. Would you 'understand' if he groped her, or raped her?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:26 PM

You would understand him doing it - and how do you think that would make your daughter feel. Would you 'understand' if he groped her, or raped her?

I would explain to my daughter,why he did it...again doesn't make it right...

Most people know Gazza has an alcohol addiction...he's in the public eye...he's making a mockery of himself,,,,brought on by the alcohol...he's to far gone to care...it's sad..my opinion.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I would explain to my daughter,why he did it...again doesn't make it right...
That was not what I asked you. I asked - would you 'understand' if he groped or raped your daughter?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

16-10-2019, 05:32 PM

That was not what I asked you. I asked - would you 'understand' if he groped or raped your daughter?
This thread is not about if he groped or raped my daughter....so,no answer from me.
Katerina
United Kingdom
Katerina is female 

16-10-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
This thread is not about if he groped or raped my daughter.
Oh Pauline you are wriggling, and you brought your daughter - if you have one (which somehow I doubt) into the discussion . . . be honest, of course you would not understand, whoever in their right mind would?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 05:38 PM

I imagine, if I was a lot younger and someone did this to me on a train, not only would the incident upset me, but I would be doubly upset if my own Mum didn't support me!

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top