Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 10:33 AM

NHS waiting times

I had a heart monitor for 24 hours because of worrying palpitations which sometimes take my breath away. As time has gone by they have gotten worse and were waking me up in the night. I was put on 2.5mg beta blockers which did nothing then upped to 5mg which also didn't help. I am now on 7.5mg and doctor told me to take them at night which have helped as I have managed somre decent sleep although I get them during the day

It has now been 6 weeks and 1 day since I had that test and my doctor has chased them up twice yet still no results.

The waiting is awful and I m seriously considering paying for a private consultation with a cardiologist as I need to know what is wrong.

I know the NHS is in a mess but this is ridiculous.

As time is going by the palpitations that I m getting during the day are getting stronger. I.m grateful to at least be getting some sleep now.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Re: NHS waiting times

Waiting for that length of time LQ is really appalling, we all know the NHS is in a real mess but results of tests, especially of this nature, should be forthcoming well before this amount of time.

Recently, well last year, a close family member had to wait longer than she should've done for results of similar tests. Fortunately with a lot of telephoning to chase them up she did get them.

I happen to believe in 'those who shout loudest get heard' and as your doctor has already chased them up twice, how about telephoning yourself to add your concern as the patient, would that be possible? If you know the name of the consultant, you will need to speak to his secretary, consultants can seldom be reached.

Having seen my close family member being anxious for similar reasons it might be of help to you to check out the NHS website (link below), this shows that there are many causes for palpitations, most not necessarily serious.

Advice can be found and there's a telephone number for support on the BHF website, link below. That family member did get very good advice and support from them, not too sure but I believe at one time they chased up results but if I have that wrong I do know they were very supportive. For myself I have found very good advice on their website following a heart attack 11 years' ago.

The telephone contact details on the BHF website, are as below:

"Call us on 0300 330 3311 to speak to one of our nurses on our Heart Helpline between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday."

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...t-palpitations

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...-heart-rhythms

Hope the above is of help to you and that you soon get the results through, with the problem eventually successfully sorted out.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:35 AM

LQ my daughter was in A and E for 8 hrs this week with severe lower back pain . She had collapsed when getting out of bed . A story too long to tell . So her husband is looking into private health care for the family

So I had a chat with Axa yesterday. After a 10 minute chat the quote was £90 per month and £250 excess to cover me . I declined .

But it is very worrying that's for sure . Hope you can get sorted
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Personally, I am disgusted with the staff at the NHS. There might be issues surrounding shortage of staff, but that does not excuse errors of cases being dealt with.

Main hospital, in Yorkshire, my cousins baby suffered from turning blotchy blue and cold feet. She was admitted over a week.. no less than 5 times ! First they said she had a virus, then they lost her notes, then they gave her antibiotics, which made her sick, she had two convulsions, and it was only on Sunday when she was rushed in again with blue light, that they gave her intravenous antibiotics and said it was a UTI infection. After two nights in hospital she is back home again now... slightly improved.
At 6 months old. That's nothing to do with lack of money, that's to do with wrong diagnosis, admin errors, and lack of concern !
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:37 AM

Oh dear PD that's terrible . So hope baby improves quickly . Poor family
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Waiting for that length of time LQ is really appalling, we all know the NHS is in a real mess but results of tests, especially of this nature, should be forthcoming well before this amount of time.

Recently, well last year, a close family member had to wait longer than she should've done for results of similar tests. Fortunately with a lot of telephoning to chase them up she did get them.

I happen to believe in 'those who shout loudest get heard' and as your doctor has already chased them up twice, how about telephoning yourself to add your concern as the patient, would that be possible? If you know the name of the consultant, you will need to speak to his secretary, consultants can seldom be reached.

Having seen my close family member being anxious for similar reasons it might be of help to you to check out the NHS website (link below), this shows that there are many causes for palpitations, most not necessarily serious.

Advice can be found and there's a telephone number for support on the BHF website, link below. That family member did get very good advice and support from them, not too sure but I believe at one time they chased up results but if I have that wrong I do know they were very supportive. For myself I have found very good advice on their website following a heart attack 11 years' ago.

The telephone contact details on the BHF website, are as below:

"Call us on 0300 330 3311 to speak to one of our nurses on our Heart Helpline between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday."

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...t-palpitations

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...-heart-rhythms

Hope the above is of help to you and that you soon get the results through, with the problem eventually successfully sorted out.
Thank you for those helpful links Baz, I've been ringing the cardio department to be told the report was done on 12th October and each time they put me through to the cardiologists secretary they don't answer which is very annoying.

I've called my doctor today also so hopefully he will get further than I've got myself.

I have had episodes of chest pain twice and been to A & E but because I wasn't having palpitations at the time of having an ECG they sent me home again.

Luckily I haven't had chest pain for the past 2 and half weeks but the palpitations are quite strong.

I am thinking of putting in a formal complaint.

Thanks again for your help. I hope your daughter is ok now xx
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Oh dear PD that's terrible . So hope baby improves quickly . Poor family
Thanks, susan m. It is awful , isn't it ? I hope she continues to improve too.(ie your daughter)
The family are exhausted but that doesn't really matter when all things are considered.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

30-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Personally, I am disgusted with the staff at the NHS. There might be issues surrounding shortage of staff, but that does not excuse errors of cases being dealt with.

Main hospital, in Yorkshire, my cousins baby suffered from turning blotchy blue and cold feet. She was admitted over a week.. no less than 5 times ! First they said she had a virus, then they lost her notes, then they gave her antibiotics, which made her sick, she had two convulsions, and it was only on Sunday when she was rushed in again with blue light, that they gave her intravenous antibiotics and said it was a UTI infection. After two nights in hospital she is back home again now... slightly improved.
At 6 months old. That's nothing to do with lack of money, that's to do with wrong diagnosis, admin errors, and lack of concern !
oh my goodness Puddy, I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope the baby continues to get better. That is a real worry, makes my worry seem nothing. You all must be so worried.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thank you for those helpful links Baz, I've been ringing the cardio department to be told the report was done on 12th October and each time they put me through to the cardiologists secretary they don't answer which is very annoying.

I've called my doctor today also so hopefully he will get further than I've got myself.

I have had episodes of chest pain twice and been to A & E but because I wasn't having palpitations at the time of having an ECG they sent me home again.

Luckily I haven't had chest pain for the past 2 and half weeks but the palpitations are quite strong.

I am thinking of putting in a formal complaint.

Thanks again for your help. I hope your daughter is ok now xx
You've done what I would have done myself and what my family member's doctor did and she did too. There's not much more you can do by what you have written. Personally, and from my own experience of the worry following a heart attack, try not to get too anxious as that can exacerbate the palpitations, I fully realise that is easy to say and not easy to do. If you do feel a chat to someone like the cardio nurses at BHF that might help put your mind at ease, they are I am told, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Personally I would definitely be making a complaint, they need to know what patients go through with all the waiting and understandable anxiety that causes.

My family member is now OK, thanks.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

30-10-2019, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh my goodness Puddy, I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope the baby continues to get better. That is a real worry, makes my worry seem nothing. You all must be so worried.
Thanks LQ..

As for yourself, I'm am a firm believer in once things have gone too far, we have to make a complaint, or formal response.
There are so many of these issues being left unmentioned, and people hanging on a thread of hope for weeks. A few years ago I was given the results of a test , over the phone. I did query at the time as I had attended no such test or had any such complaint. They gave me the results of someone else ! How bad is that ? When I did need a result from a test, they constantly said it hadn't arrived. 5 weeks later I told them my oncologist was waiting for the results. All of a sudden they found them and made a ridiculous excuse to do with the computers fault !
They may have given your result to someone else... always best to phone !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top