Join for free
Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Re: Who to vote for?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Alternatively, what about resurrecting Mr Fawkes?
Alas, he wouldn't get very far due to the amount of time he'd have to spend on filling out Risk Assessment and COSHH forms.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Alas, he wouldn't get very far due to the amount of time he'd have to spend on filling out Risk Assessment and COSHH forms.
A box of matches would out of order then :
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
What about there being a time limit on how long an MP can be an MP? A maximum of, say, 15 years should allow time for a politician to hone their skills, lead a department and not become burnt out nor a parasite.
Go back to Victorian days and you wouldn't find any parasites in Parliament. They all had private incomes, if I'm correct, so were not 'career politicians' in today's terms.

I think the advantage was that they were more likely to represent the country and their electors rather than themselves.

Quite the opposite of most of today's MPs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Alternatively, what about resurrecting Mr Fawkes?
Of course, it was the King he was hoping to blow up.

If the resurrected Mr Fawkes could be persuaded to put his bomb under the Commons, or at least the Opposition benches, perhaps that would be a good thing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Go back to Victorian days and you wouldn't find any parasites in Parliament. They all had private incomes, if I'm correct, so were not 'career politicians' in today's terms.

I think the advantage was that they were more likely to represent the country and their electors rather than themselves.

Quite the opposite of most of today's MPs.
You're delusional if you think that - they often passed laws from which they could benefit themselves. Enclosures Acts, Corn Laws, etc. The list is endless.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You're delusional if you think that - they often passed laws from which they could benefit themselves. Enclosures Acts, Corn Laws, etc. The list is endless.
Yes, now I think about it I'm sure you're right.

Probably less likely to work for foreign countries, though.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Correct .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:37 AM

Another reason ( sadly ) not to vote Labour

This woman clearly means every word she says .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ony-Blair.html
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Hi

I totally agree Muddy.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

She says she made those remarks when she was a student out of frustration....but I agree it is an insight to her thinking...very dangwrous

Page 11 of 13 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top