Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:04 PM

Re: 1960's Girl Groups

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I don't remember that one.
How about this one:

The Chiffons - He's So Fine (1963)

Do-lang, do-lang, do-lang
Do-lang, do-lang
"He's So Fine" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in the spring of 1963. The son was written by Ronald Mack, an acquaintance of the Chiffons' members who set himself up as their manager after overhearing them harmonise in their high school's lunch room.

The Chiffons' two later Top 10 hits both contain echoes of "He's So Fine", although neither song was written by Ronald Mack, who died soon after the Chiffons had recorded his song.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 08:07 PM

The Ronettes.
I always thought they were Motown,they certainly sound it but now I don't think they are.
There's another of their's I like but it might be coming up,so I'll bide my time.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2019, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
How about this one:

The Chiffons - He's So Fine (1963)

"He's So Fine" topped the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in the spring of 1963. The son was written by Ronald Mack, an acquaintance of the Chiffons' members who set himself up as their manager after overhearing them harmonise in their high school's lunch room.

The Chiffons' two later Top 10 hits both contain echoes of "He's So Fine", although neither song was written by Ronald Mack, who died soon after the Chiffons had recorded his song.
Yes, I remember it well.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 01:35 AM

I never get enough of these ladies.

https://youtu.be/RnVvbQpXITg
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
I never get enough of these ladies.

https://youtu.be/RnVvbQpXITg
They're 1970's, though .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2019, 02:21 AM

Next (from the 1960's):

The Shangri-Las - Out In The Streets (1965)

Somethin about his kissin that tells me he's changed

I know that something's missing inside - somethin's died

(It's still in the streets)

His heart, out in the streets
The Shangri-Las' "tough girls" persona set them apart from other girl groups. Having grown up in a rough neighborhood of Queens, New York, they were less demure than their contemporaries. Rumors about supposed escapades have since become legend, for example the story that Mary Weiss attracted the attention of the FBI for transporting a firearm across state lines. In her defense, she said someone tried to break into her hotel room one night and for protection she bought a pistol.

Whatever truth these stories may have, they were believed by fans in the 1960s, and they helped cement the group's bad-girl reputation. According to Weiss, that persona helped fend off advances from musicians on tours.

The Shangri-Las specialized in adolescent themes such as alienation, loneliness, abandonment and death.

Out In The Streets was written by Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry. It was produced by Shadow Morton, arranged by Artie Butler and released on Red Bird Records. It reached # 53 on the US Billboard Top 100.

The song was covered by Blondie in 1975

The original foursome, aged 16-18:

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:09 AM

Loving this thread Omar....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Loving this thread Omar....
Thank you .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Next:

The Dixie Cups - Iko Iko (1964)

Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né
The Dixie Cups consisted of sisters Barbara Ann and Rosa Lee Hawkins; plus their cousin Joan Marie Johnson. All three young ladies were from New Orleans, as was producer and singer Joe Jones, who discovered the talented threesome and took them to New York.

The recording was the result of an unplanned jam in a New York City studio where they began an impromptu version of "Iko Iko", accompanying themselves with drumsticks on an aluminum chair, a studio ashtray and a Coke bottle. After their producers cleaned up the track and added the backup vocals, bass and drums to the song, the single was then released in March 1965. "Iko Iko" peaked at number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and spent 10 weeks on the Top 100. The song also charted at number 23 on the UK Singles Chart It was the Dixie Cups third single taken from their debut studio album Chapel of Love issued on Red Bird Records in August 1964 and their last hit.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

05-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Now:

The Shirelles - Baby It's You (1961)

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la
"Baby It's You" is a song written by Burt Bacharach (music), Luther Dixon (credited as Barney Williams) and Mack David (lyrics).

The Shirelles consisted of schoolmates Shirley Owens, Doris Coley, Addie "Micki" Harris, and Beverly Lee who formed as a group for a talent show at their high school in 1957. The Shirelles have been described as having a "naive schoolgirl sound" that contrasted with the sexual themes of many of their songs.

Working with Luther Dixon, the group rose to fame with "Tonight's the Night". After a successful period of collaboration with Dixon and promotion by Scepter, with seven top 20 hits, the Shirelles left Scepter in 1966. Afterwards, they were unable to maintain their previous popularity.

The Beatles performed "Baby It's You" as part of their stage act from 1961 until 1963, and recorded it on February 11, 1963 for their first album, Please Please Me, along with "Boys", another song by the Shirelles.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top