Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 01:54 AM

Re: Living too long

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Respectfully, I have to disagree that depression is a mindset. It is caused by he pathophysiology (caused by inflammation, the morphology of the brain [genetic], trauma, toxins, disease) distributed across many brain regions and circuits.

Being sad or down for a while when you have a healthy brain is not the same, and it is not depression. If you are down and have a healthy brain, you have the basic functioning equipment to use strategies to get well. Examples of this are healthy people who lose a loved one, face a job loss, go through a divorce, etc causing them to remain sad, lonely, distant, and otherwise dysfunctional for a while. They have the equipment to get better - and there are many strategies that can work for them.

Depressed people can no more pull themselves up by their bootstraps to control their illness any more than people can do likewise to cure their cancer. This is why no one who is physiologically depressed ever graduates out of therapy without medical intervention - or their bodies heal as a result of immune responses. They aren't weak or negative, their brains are sick and require medical treatment.
Seconded
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
As I said earlier Surfermom, there are many causes for depression and not all depression is caused by inflammation etc, it can be caused by bullying, medication, a lack of confidence and a feeling of worthlessness and low self esteem, not to mention money trouble. In fact I would go as far to say that the majority of suicides are by those causes I mentioned, the friends I know who commited suicide were not clinically depressed.....
How do you know ?
People who are depressed don’t always have it written on their foreheads .
They may keep up a facade they are quite often funny like Robin Williams .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:43 AM

You only have to go onto the net,to find out what real depression is.

It's all there,if one cares to research it....

I thought I suffered with depression...some years back...

According to my research on the subject.........I wasn't clinically depressed.

Just events through ones life,can cause you to become depressed.
That's the problem when one "assumes". best to do ones research.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:15 AM

I don't think people want to die but I understand that life circumstances can make people think that they don't want to continue with life.
Many people consider suicide, but for most it is a cry for help, so unless we have been in their position I don't think any of us can offer a valid opinion on what they do.

I chatted to a friend in Australia and, although he never mentioned taking his own life, I knew he was going to from the way he spoke. I contacted his close friends & told them to get some help to his home... and they did!
He was wealthy, so was taken to a private clinic, where they helped deal with his problems & he was released when he was feeling more positive. That man later wrote to me and thanked me for saving his life & even told me his plans for the future.

Just because we all want to live forever, it doesn't mean that everybody does, so perhaps we should walk a mile in their shoes before we form an opinion on their choices.......because in many cases an understanding ear & maybe a little help could change their choices.
It is a really good feeling when somebody says " Thank you for saving my life!"
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Muddy, are you a Goth?
No Floydy I am not a Goth I love colour and brightness .
( like many people ) I am influenced by light if it’s a bright sunny day I feel good .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No Floydy I am not a Goth I love colour and brightness .
( like many people ) I am influenced by light if it’s a bright sunny day I feel good .
That's cleared that one up then. Just wondering.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Apart from that I would look a right ‘nana walking about in Dr Martens .
They weight a ton too .
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I don't think people want to die but I understand that life circumstances can make people think that they don't want to continue with life.
Many people consider suicide, but for most it is a cry for help, so unless we have been in their position I don't think any of us can offer a valid opinion on what they do.

I chatted to a friend in Australia and, although he never mentioned taking his own life, I knew he was going to from the way he spoke. I contacted his close friends & told them to get some help to his home... and they did!
He was wealthy, so was taken to a private clinic, where they helped deal with his problems & he was released when he was feeling more positive. That man later wrote to me and thanked me for saving his life & even told me his plans for the future.

Just because we all want to live forever, it doesn't mean that everybody does, so perhaps we should walk a mile in their shoes before we form an opinion on their choices.......because in many cases an understanding ear & maybe a little help could change their choices.

Twink,with all respect...you say you don't think people want to die.....why do they go to these clinics abroad...to be injected with a lethal drug that kills them?
On second thoughts,it may have been a liquid that they drank,that killed them.
Ive watched it on YouTube...some are youngsters.

Yes,it must have been so touching,that you saved that mans life....but we all know,that you are a very kind caring person on here.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

12-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
twink,with all respect...you say you don't think people want to die.....why do they go to these clinics abroad...to be injected with a lethal drug that kills them?

Ive watched it on youtube...some are youngsters.

Yes,it must have been so touching,that you saved that mans life....but we all know,that you are a very kind caring person on here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->

I agree, and this is what I said back in my post 20, on page two.
I said there are people who unintentionally kill themselves, and those who plan it and prepare for it in an organised way. That is definitely intentional and they want to die.

Very, very sad, but I think we need to 'walk in their shoes' to feel it and understand it.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top