Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:00 PM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

Having a bath in a tin bath in front of the open fire...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Never heard it called that!...which part of Scotland are You from?
Near Kirriemuir.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Having a bath in a tin bath in front of the open fire...
Mags, We didn’t have a tin bath, my mother washed us four children in the kitchen deep sink. She used to put Jeyes Fluid in the water. When l complained it was stinging me, she said, ‘Shut up, its killing the germs’!
It must’ve done, we were rarely ill.

When l was about 5, my mother was rushed into hospital after suffering a miscarriage. Our neighbour looked after us.
She gave us a bath in their tin bath where she had washed her three sons in the water. I will never forget seeing the youngest boy’s poo floating past me as she washed me.

Some things, you just never forget!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mags, We didn’t have a tin bath, my mother washed us four children in the kitchen deep sink. She used to put Jeyes Fluid in the water. When l complained it was stinging me, she said, ‘Shut up, its killing the germs’!

When l was about 5, my mother was rushed into hospital after suffering a miscarriage. Our neighbour looked after us.
She gave us a bath in their tin bath where she had washed her three sons in the water. I will never forget seeing the youngest boy’s poo floating past me as she washed me.

Aye, life wer'ard in slums .....

Ten to a bed and fed cabbage soup wi'no cabbage .....

Only one gazunder between twenty when the outside lavvy were frozen .....

No wonder we had dysentry, TB, whooping cough, measles, mumps, impetigo and chicken pox when we were living cheek by jowel w'fleas, bed-lice and rats .....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

Jeyes Fluid in the water? Gosh Art, you must have been dirty little urchins!

That was the worse thing about tin baths, you still had to use the water everyone else had used. In those days though we thought nothing about it. It makes me wonder how today's generation would cope with the things we had to do years ago.

Yuk @ you having to bath after your neighbour's boys
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Wool reinforced vest & pants that were as rough as a badger's arse, tin bath in front of the fire where the occupant hoped the winter hot coals would not spit sparks off in their direction and not forgetting the pop of the gas mantle when being turned off by the chains . . . what a difference the electric lighting made :thumbup: but my other Nan had it from the earliest I can remember. Radio accumulators recharged at the oil shop/ironmongers and of course the muffin man and his hand bell
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Electrical items plugged into the light socket.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

12-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Wool reinforced vest & pants that were as rough as a badger's arse, tin bath in front of the fire where the occupant hoped the winter hot coals would not spit sparks off in their direction and not forgetting the pop of the gas mantle when being turned off by the chains . . . what a difference the electric lighting made :thumbup: but my other Nan had it from the earliest I can remember. Radio accumulators recharged at the oil shop/ironmongers and of course the muffin man and his hand bell
Ooh... I remember the Muffin man.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:29 PM

Milk of magnesium.

Spending holidays in Northern Ireland where my maternal gran's house still had an outside toilet with newspaper cut up, joined with string and hung on a nail on the tin wall
During the night we used a "chamber pot", kept under the bed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2019, 08:41 PM

It's a Knockout!

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top