Join for free
Page 8 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:42 AM

Re: Things from your childhood that no one will know now

I remember some of those

I was going to mention trousers with a button fly but someone beat me to it

National dried milk in a grey can
concentrated orange juice in a flat glass bottle with a cork
Cod liver oil and malt extract

Portable paraffin heaters in winter - Aladin? Valor? in the hall and on the landing
A lit hurricane lamp next to the water pipe in the outside toilet in winter, to stop the pipe from freezing

Frost & ice on the inside of the bedroom window in the morning
Also frost & ice on the inside of the bus windows going to school - no doors of course, just an open platform

Dad's first car was a Ford Squire, about 1963 or 1964 - no heater, like many British cars of that era, and before.
Windscreen wipers were vacuum operated off the engine, so they went slower the faster you drove; and they went so fast when you stopped eg at a junction that they nearly took off

Elastic belts with a snake hook buckle

Grandpa brushing my hair and laying it down with Brilliantine
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 12:56 AM

Carrying a knife

Just about every boy, and many of the girls in the village carried a knife of some kind.
It would be some kind of folding pocket knife, or a small sheath knife such as one by William Rodgers, and no-one thought anything about it
The most serious damage we did was something like carving our initials on a tree

Lotus petal front sandals - I think I've got that right

Seriously heavy engineered brass locks on toilet doors when you went to spend a penny

Folding plastic raincoats, like Pacamac and Stourmac

The man on the seaside holiday who took your photograph and gave you a ticket so you could collect it next day after it had been printed overnight
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
She used to put Jeyes Fluid in the water. When l complained it was stinging me, she said, ‘Shut up, its killing the germs’!
It must’ve done, we were rarely ill.
Our mum used to add a wee drop of dettol to the bath. Loved the smell, also used to have our hair scrubbed with original vosene shampoo. Loved the smell of that too, Think you could safely say us kids were clean afterwards.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 01:36 AM

Santa with his sack in the busy shopping areas at Christmas time. He would give a present to the children out of his sack for a couple of pennies.

The decorated buses playing carols that drove round the roads with Santa waving to all the children.

Those were the days of innocence and wonder.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 06:07 AM

Sherbet Dabs...
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 03:36 PM

Milk at school break time in little bottles. In Summer warm, in Winter frozen, they couldn't have been good for you, could they?
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Candle holders for real candles on the Xmas tree....

CRAZY OR WHAT?

This in a household where my older brother died age two and a half from burns when his inflammable nightie caught fire.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Penny up the wall.
Was that a game or an old girlfriend?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Gird and Cleek

The gird and cleek (or hoop and stick) dates from around 1910. A gird is a plain iron hoop. A cleek is attached by an iron loop. The cleek is used to push the gird along. Using the cleek takes practice. When it is mastered playing with a gird is simple. Before streets filled up with cars many children played with girds rolling them along roads or pavements. Boys and girls would have races. Girds could also be made using old bicycle wheels, and the cleek could be a stick. This would push the wheel along. Pupils enjoy trying to master the tricky Gird!

Sorry I can't show You a picture ST
Thank you,May, it sounds like fun!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I found a video:

It looks like it should be easy but, obviously, it isn't .....
Brilliant, Omah, thank you!

Page 8 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top