Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 02:43 PM

Re: How Ever Did We Manage To Live In A World Where The Majority Smoked?

I gave up smoking seven years ago. Cold turkey.
HWMO still likes to smoke his pipe but doesn't smoke it in the house, I usually spot him sitting in his shed with the old transistor radio on and the occasional cloud of smoke from his Captain Black pipe tobacco wafting out of the open door.
I've given up trying to get him to stop smoking it.

As for the joy of visiting pubs without the fog of smoke etc, I wouldn't worry too much about it, most of our pubs have closed since the smoking ban came into effect. The ordeal of going out with friends, then having to part so one section had to go outside in the cold and rain to have a smoke, leaving their non-smoking friends back inside,sometimes twiddling their thumbs until their friends returned, killed off the pleasurable night out at the pub with friends. They preferred to stay at home instead.

Regarding smoking in restaurants etc. Even as an ex-smoker myself, I couldn't bear it when I was eating out and someone at the next table decided to light a cigarette after eating their own meal, and their cloud of smoke then wafted over to where we were trying to enjoy our meals. That is one ban that was long overdue.

Transport - after the terrible fire at King's Cross underground station due to some plank lighting a match and setting fire to debris under an escalator, it was another ban that was long overdue.

Smoking outside? leave it alone. Smoking is not illegal (yet). Non-smokers have everything they wished for with smoking banned at every indoor venue/building, children's play areas, transport, airports, flights, you name it, smoking is banned, rightly so, but leave smoker's alone outside in the air. They have the right to light up, you don't have the right to object, but no doubt you will.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Imagine returning to the days of walking into a pub, restaurant or any other public building where the majority of people are smoking. Or visiting a house where people are smoking.
I don’t think you could.

Luckily these days, most of those places are now smoke free. You no longer end up smelling of smoke, having to change your clothes and wash your hair to get rid of the smell.

So l ask, how did we ever manage in those days to live in a world of smoke?
Could you put up with it now, if the ban was lifted?

Did you ever smoke,Art?

I did..I hold my head in shame....as I was a very selfish "young" smoker.....who smoked where I shouldn't have.

Luckily,no one was affected by my selfishness ..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 03:03 PM

What I used to hate was, the smell of my smokey hair on the pillow when I went to bed.

Even when I was young, and used to smoke, I never liked the smell of it, especially on someone's skin or breath, let alone clothes.

I think another awful thing is smoking in a car. How anyone can bear to be shut in with it like that is beyond me.

Sometimes I have stood at a check-out and the person near me reeks of stale smoke, where I assume they've been smoking in their car.

Mind you, I also don't go a bundle on walking along and suddenly being plunged into a dense cloud of that stinking vaping stuff when the person in front suddenly blows it all out.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 03:05 PM

The smoking ban is one of the best things that could have been done.

I'm an ex smoker from when it was acceptable & fashionable. I wouldn't dream of smoking now - not if I had to stand huddled round a pub doorway.

When I was 14 years old my class went on a visit to Players cigarette factory at Nottingham. At the end of the visit we all got a souvenir packet of plastic ciggies & the teacher got a pack of real ones which they were very pleased with.

Even my doctor used to smoke during a consultation.

How times have changed eh?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 03:25 PM

As a long time ex-smoker (1982) I do not like to be anywhere near smokers, the smell sickens me. Even out driving there are occasions when the car in front stopped in traffic is emitting cigarette smoke into the air, through open windows or maybe the air-con, should that come into my car for any reason I can actually identify it as cigarette smoke, the awful smell that it is.

I guess there are many less smokers than there used to be, this is very noticeable if 'people watching'. More noticeable nowadays though are the clouds of smoke that follow those who now 'vape'.

Everybody to their own but no way would I eat in a restaurant where smoking is allowed, not that it is nowadays as that would be illegal.

My smoking habit, probably 30-40 a day, was stopped 'cold turkey'. I then saved what I would have spent on smoking and bought a brand new hand-built sports car for cash. One of the best and most satisfying days of my life was the day I walked into the car showroom and ordered the car, that was such a brilliant feeling and I still have the car.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Imagine returning to the days of walking into a pub, restaurant or any other public building where the majority of people are smoking. Or visiting a house where people are smoking.
I don’t think you could.

Luckily these days, most of those places are now smoke free. You no longer end up smelling of smoke, having to change your clothes and wash your hair to get rid of the smell.

So l ask, how did we ever manage in those days to live in a world of smoke?
Could you put up with it now, if the ban was lifted?
I didn't put up with it before the ban, Artangel. No-one has ever been allowed to smoke in my house. Obviously couldn't always avoid it in Restaurants - but did manage to find a chosen few that did not allow it.

Travelling on trains was a nightmare as there was not always a 'no smoking' carriage. Arriving at ones destination stinking of cigarettes was not good.

I certainly would not go out with anyone who smoked - or who used those stinking vape things.

The smoking ban was the best thing ever.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Silver Tabby I have had more rows with people about smoking than hot dinners .
People lighting up in my house even in my car !
Over my children on trains and even in planes

And then they have the audacity to be offended when you complain !

I HATE smokers .
They have nearly always been inconsiderate JERKS !
Smoking in the non smoking areas holding their blasted cancer sticks so their smoke goes over you ( rather than them ) your children your food your clothes .
The smoking ban is the best thing ever .
I am sorry it’s not in ALL countries of the world
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:42 AM

I was so happy when they banned smoking in pubs and restaurants. It was a handful of years after I'd given up and I was still suffering from what I'd done to my body. So being in a smoky environment was unbearable. It took about ten years before I could bear smelling a cigarette even in the street. Giving up was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. You are enslaved by this drug.

I cannot imagine going back to the bad old days when you could smell the stinky smoke everywhere. It's no longer socially acceptable and I hope that vaping goes the same way.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think smoking was a "Grown up" thing to do and that is why so many young people tried it... and it continued through quite a few generations. Sadly it took that long for people to realize that it could kill them & I am glad that many have now stopped smoking.

These days alcohol seems to be the demon & I blame the TV. If you watch entertainment programmes on TV you will be struggling to find one that doesn't show an alcoholic drink.
Lots of young teenagers are drinking Vodka, like it is going out of fashion but it could take a few generations before they realize too much alcohol can kill too.
The real problem is that the government & advertising markets make a lot of revenue on these products, so are reluctant to ban them, just because some people unknowingly overdo it

My biggest fear is..." Will the next heavily taxed products be drugs?" after all cannabis is on the road to becoming legal for pain relief and drugs seem to be the topic of many programmes!
By the time they have banned smoking & drinking on TV, perhaps our future generations will be watching people inject themselves on most programmes?
So do I Twink, there is so much crap on, its enough to drive anyone to Drink.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Smoked 60 a day, back when most folks seemed to smoke, back then, could just be me but, none smokers seemed less judgemental.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top