Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Re: How Ever Did We Manage To Live In A World Where The Majority Smoked?

I smoked from about 1970 thu until 2001 .... roll-ups mostly, I gave up the ready rolled about 1990. Most people smoked, it was the normal thing to do.

I hate the smell of it on other people now ... uninhaled tobacco smoke especially. It's odd, you don't realise it or think about it when you're doing it, but those that don't inhale reek.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:52 PM

No it wasn’t the normal thing to do at all.
You have to practically choke yourself to learn to smoke so how can it be normal ?
My family didn’t smoke .
I mean none of them not aunties , uncles or grandmas
Most of my friends didn’t smoke nor did their parents .
We didn’t have the money for a start .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:04 PM

The thread title says:

A World Where The Majority Smoked?

and that's how it seemed to me, most friends & family smoked.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:38 PM

I dont think the majority smoked its just that those who did ( and do ) imposed their presence on everyone with their noxious fumes.

I was in Ireland soon after the ban came in and we asked in a pub had its affected their custom. They replied on the contrary it had boosted their custom - those who loathed smoke filled rooms came out in force while the smokers still came but stood out side and puffed in all weathers.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 03:50 PM

I was served by a shop assistant today in pound stretcher.

I have never in all of my life...smelt cigarette smoke on a person as her....she absolutely wreaked of the most vile smell of tobacco smoke....she smelt worse than an ashtray.....it made me feel sick to my stomach.

I am surprised that she not been pulled into the office about it!..

I do not want her serving me again...if she is the only one at the check out,like today....I will have to put a complaint in...that is not like me.....that's how bad she "stank"!!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I used to smoke about 40 years ago, then went cold turkey and kicked the habit. I remember it well. it was Christmas time and I had a bad cold, and if you have a cold smoking is the last thing on your mind. So I had stopped for a few days then thought to myself, hang on a minute you have packed it up for these last few days, lets see if I can do another without a fag. That is how it went on for several weeks until the only time I wanted one was after doing some hard work

It took me a total of about 3 years to get it right out of my system so I never thought about smoking. This including having what felt like the shakes across the shoulders, must have been part of the withdrawal effect

By no means is giving up smoking easy, far from it but well worth the effort. Suppose my stubborn nature helped a lot I don't know, but even someone smoking near me is really annoying now

Smog was mentioned in a previous post, oh how well do I remember that. Following the car in front rear lights and finishing up on their driveway was quite common. Hard to believe now that it was a job to even see 5 yards ahead

RS, you could have predicted this, giving up must have been so easy.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
The thread title says:

A World Where The Majority Smoked?

and that's how it seemed to me, most friends & family smoked.
Same with me.The odd ones were those that didn't smoke.
My father didn't but my mother did.One a day after tea.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top