Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 06:30 AM

What Artifact Do You Want Passed Down?

I have my grandfather's ladder that he bought right after he was married and used his entire life (there's a story there for another day), my great-grandmother's Wedgewood china, and my dad's journal from the 1950s when he was a helicopter pilot helping to build and supply the first bases in Antarctica.

What would like to have kept and passed down through the generations that you would like to be remembered by?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Re: What Artifact Do You Want Passed Down?

Surfer, was your Grandmother extremely tall.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 07:54 AM

I have a mandolin that belonged to my grandfather and a resonator (slide) guitar that I have had for over 40 years. My son plays them more than I do now and I want him to pass them on to his children along with my father's WW2 Africa Star medal from the El Alamein campaign.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 08:06 AM

I have an oak sideboard that my Mother bought during WWII (Father was away). I was born at the end of the war, so this bit of furniture has always been around. It even has some chalk scribbling underneath it that I did when I was around 6 years old.

I ended up with the sideboard when the family home days came to an end. I wasn't sentimental about it at the time (I was 21) and sawed the legs off it to make it look more modern. also took a carved back board off it.

However, the bulk of it remains and is being used now. I'd like it passed down (preferably without more mutilation ) to the next generation.

Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 08:16 AM

When I left Britain in 1952 my paternal grandmother gave me this lion. The book under the lions foot is in latin and translates to : "Peace be with you, Marcus son of the evangelist". I have no idea who Marcus was but the lion has emotional content for me, as I never saw my lovely grandmother again.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:09 AM

A pair of silver candlesticks of unknown age (but with no hallmark of course) that were brought from Russia having been in her family for goodness knows how long for lighting candles each Shabbos as well as the high holy days and in my case a very old menorah that has been handed down for years.

They have no religious significance for me (sometimes not sure about my wife!) but they are bonafide heirlooms and artifacts of a different time and place.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Two items really that are precious emotionally.

First my grandfather's mirror that he had as an officer in the army in WW1. There's a mane for it and I can't think. A mirror on a stand with a small draw, and very heavy. Anyway, I don't know who will inherit that. One of two sons.

The other item is a babies bassinet , which is from around the 1850's . To date, we know there have been over 22 babies in it my mother being one of the first we know about in 1919, but there were obviously others before.. New drapes have been made many times over the years, and I found an identical, tiny one (probably a sampler) in the last couple of years which I have recently
I had drapes made for and it is now waiting for a dolly and will be going to my granddaughter for Christmas. She will also inherit the full sized bassinet in years to come.

Similar to this but not so fussy.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:20 AM

I dont really get attached to odjects having said that there are things I wish I hadn't sent to the charity shops... too late now.

Just thought though I bought a little porcelain ornament many years ago of a little girl...I really love it I hope when I'm gone one of the kids look after her...I'd like that....I'll put a picture up later.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:24 AM

I don't have anything of monetary value, my sister grabbed as much as she could when my parents passed. I have garden ornaments that my Dad made and some of my Mum's sewing bits and bobs and her button tin.
The most important things I have to pass on are my Dad's compassion and practical skills and my Mum's artistic and craft skills.
They taught me how to make do and mend and find ways to sort out problems.

Dad especially taught me useful things like how to move heavy objects without much effort, that's worth passing on!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
When I left Britain in 1952 my paternal grandmother gave me this lion. The book under the lions foot is in latin and translates to : "Peace be with you, Marcus son of the evangelist". I have no idea who Marcus was but the lion has emotional content for me, as I never saw my lovely grandmother again.
Look up 'The Lion of St Mark', Cideman.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top