Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Re: Blood Pressure monitors

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Interesting
Do you think we should all be monitoring our BP or have all you folk got a history?
Is this connected with taking statins at all?
I think it may be a good idea considering today's lifestyle

My reason for this post is because my husband is supposed to get his BP checked every 6 months and more often than not he overlooks it as long as he's feeling well. However, he's been having 'feeling faint' turns lately and went to the Health Centre this morning...... he had to take his own BP there and hand the receipt to the receptionist. I then thought that if he has to take his own reading while he's there, I may just as well buy a home BP monitor and do it for him .......and keep a check on mine as well. I can't remember the last time I had mine read
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Mmm - and I think VM's "whitecoatitis" is a definite factor don't you? So doing it yourself is good.
But I suppose you'd need some guidance from the practice nurse or Doc as to what the base line was?
Apart from when I concussed myself banging my head on the fireplace whilst stepping back from laying the fire, which was 5 years ago, when Dinah was a pup, I can't remember when I last saw the doc - oops. I think I have been to one wellwoman extravaganza since we moved here (7+ years) and two routine mammograms,
Difficult isn't it? I would hate to get my BP checked and be told I needed continuing medication - changing from a healthy person to a 'medicated person' at a stroke. But ... maybe I do have high BP and don't know it?
At the mo, I think I'll stay in blissful ignorance
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2009, 09:07 PM

I too suffer from Whitecoatisis (hate them) but I do believe OMRON BP monitors are very good .....I had to have a BP machine about 5 years ago as BP all over the place but there were some good advice on BP on the net I just googled it... Good luck
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2009, 10:29 PM

Obviously we would consult our doctor to find out what our normal BP reading should be for our age. I think measuring your own blood pressure can be a good way to take part in managing your own health and recognising changes.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I know my sister bought one from the Chemist and it works just like the ones in the docs (pumps up itself) it works off batteries.

All of these bar the first one seem ok: http://www.polygondirect.com/vmchk/B...FYmY2AodsUiblA and you get a free thermometer too
Thanks for the link have ordered the second one.

Have had BP for 5 years and it does fluctuate.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I too suffer from Whitecoatisis (hate them) but I do believe OMRON BP monitors are very good .....I had to have a BP machine about 5 years ago as BP all over the place but there were some good advice on BP on the net I just googled it... Good luck
Yes this is the best. I rarely take mine at home but I can tell if mine is off and yet they say you can't tell when you have high blood pressure. Then I take mine a few time a day to see if it's within the normal range again for my age. If you take your blood pressure 20 times in 10 minutes you're going to get a different reading but you can see what range it is in to measure or average out.

My Dr. said the white coat syndrome is a good one to measure. It gives them a bit of any idea of what your BP would be like if some crossed you in line at a supermarket etc. They can't always catch you at a time where they can see numbers that could cause a stroke.

I think watching your salt intake and not eating any frozen or processed foods help alot more than taking your BP but that is important if the Dr. is trying to get an idea of what med will work. My Dr. and most feel low BP is harder to work with and a sign of a problem. You feel dizzy and light headed. Only had that problem once for any length of time.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

27-11-2009, 10:26 PM

I have now ordered mine.

As VM says, mainly you are only looking for any worrying changes to your readings.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2009, 01:41 AM

I think the upper arm ones are better but I'm no expert

Did you get the same one as Galty mags?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

28-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I think the upper arm ones are better but I'm no expert

Did you get the same one as Galty mags?
I went for the Omron M2 Compact, Azz
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Nice one Did you order from the same site too?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top