Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Re: What Do You Record Your Television Programmes On?

I have the same problem, I find recorded programs are vanishing on my old Sky box.
I've had it years, I thought they would give me a new one when I moved but they didn't and those Sky Q boxes are so expensive.
I have been with Sky for years, still paying £20+ for basic!

After reading all this I'm going to cancell in September when the contract ends.
I'll have to change broadband suppliers too as it's in with the tv package.

I really feel we're going backwards, time was we could record things and keep them forever! Bring back VHS!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hadn't heard of Roku, so I had to google it.

To be honest, it looks virtually the same thing as our Fire Stick, but one of the options is cheaper.

I'll have a closer look when I have time, but I bet it will turn out to be very much the same thing.
You get a remote with it which is handy) not sure if you do with the firestick).
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Not recorded anything for over 20 years mainly because i can't find anything worth recording
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There seems to have been no resolution to that problem so maybe it's the fault of the broadcasters rather than the unit or even perhaps the fault of the users.

On my (old) Humax the only recordings which have failed (and there have only been a few) have been the fault of the broadcaster.
When I used to set recording times using the EPG, I found regular problems in receiving EPG details on both Panasonic and Humax units.

I can only assume from that, that it was the fault of the broadcasters who (I assume) populate the EPG information.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 11:52 AM

I lost all my "Third Rock from the Sun" recordings, which I watch to cheer me up, likewise an entire season of "The Moomins" and after watching "Strike" recordings they disappeared!
Bye bye Sky!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You get a remote with it which is handy) not sure if you do with the firestick).
Yes, we got a remote with the Fire Stick.

To be honest, we have had some small problems and, when I couldn't sort them out I had a chat with the support people on Amazon - that's an online chat, not speech!

To be honest, the problems have been to do with correctly setting the thing up.

Each time (two or three now) they have been both knowledgeable and helpful and have quickly sorted out any problems.

The first time I called them, they agreed to send me a replacement remote control.

Although there have been some small problems since, we now have TWO working remotes!

To be honest, I think £40 for access to all of these channels, YouTube, Internet, etc. was well worth it.

We already used to pay for Amazon Prime for free delivery, which we do a lot now due to this coronavirus thing. Fortunately, it also pays for access to just about everything on the Prime channel on the Fire Stick too.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Not recorded anything for over 20 years mainly because i can't find anything worth recording
There is, indeed, little worth watching (or recording) on the current multiplicity of media channels.

In the near future, SpaceX will complete it's 12,000-satellite megaconstellation to provide internet access to everybody on Earth - there will be 1,000's of channels streaming down from space - no need to record "programs" but none worth watching .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-08-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
There is, indeed, little worth watching (or recording) on the current multiplicity of media channels.

In the near future, SpaceX will complete it's 12,000-satellite megaconstellation to provide internet access to everybody on Earth - there will be 1,000's of channels streaming down from space - no need to record "programs" but none worth watching .....
I look forward to that.
I'm fed up with Virgin Media and there are no alternative fibre connections around here.

Satellite internet might be just the job, assuming that it proves to be reliable.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It depends.
Where will you access your signals? TV aerial, satellite, internet?

If TV aerial, I agree that a PVR like the Humax would be best. We still have one, but no longer use it. We also have a Panasonic unit which, in addition to recording programmes, can copy recordings to DVDs and BDs for permanent storage. I did that for many films I want to keep for ever. However, the Panasonic units are far more expensive: c.£400+

If satellite, I'm not sure as I don't use one, but I imagine there would be similar recorders to the above which would work. Perhaps someone else with satellite could advise better than I.

If internet, I may have mentioned that we bought a FireStick which picks up signals from our broadband router (WiFi)*. It's a small unit (about £40) which plugs into the back of the TV (an HDMI port) and provides programmes/films from many sources. The big advantage to us is we don't need a TV licence for it. However, it doesn't record programmes as such, probably because they are already there at all times for you to watch whenever you want!

*No. (Just seen your last post). It doesn't need a wired connection to the router.
If viewing via a tablet however, you can download programmes to watch later, if you go on holiday for example. Granted, the recordings have a limited shelf life unless they're re-verified by a Wi-Fi connection from time to time, but the facility is there if you need it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I feel quite sad tonight as l have been with Sky since the early1980’s but these days, loyalty stands for nothing and they just increase their prices for damn all in return.

I cancelled mainly because they have put my subscription up by nearly double....but now things are easing re. lockdown, l am not watching so much television.

It’s the recording facility l want mostly.
Exactly the reason why I cancelled Virgin Media BB - they were taking the piss with their ever-increasing charges. I'd been a customer of theirs via NTL C&W and then Virgin for over 25 years, yet they still had the nerve to bill me for one last monthly payment. Thieving bastards.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top