Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 01:49 AM

A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Most of the stuff in OFF about Smart Meters has been nonsense and speculation about fees and charges. Here is a real reason you might want to avoid having one installed.

Intimate data about the private lives of millions of Australians will be analysed and monetised by a partnership between a New Zealand company and a subsidiary of the world's biggest retailer, Amazon.

Smart meters deliver information about household power use and are being installed at a rate of 12,000 a month as the electricity grid juggles a boom in household solar with a nationally linked network of generators and users.

The data goes far beyond how much power you use in a certain time of day — revealing things like the number of televisions you have, the age of your fridge and other appliances, and the number of people in your home.

The information will be shared in a partnership between New Zealand utility company Vector and Amazon Web Services (AWS), the cloud computing subsidiary of internet behemoth Amazon.

"Smart meters, and the way you consume energy is very private," said Kaspar Kaarlep, co-founder of power technology company WePower.

"I would compare it to, let's say, the City of Melbourne selling access to all of its CCTV cameras to Amazon … to develop new products and services.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-...homes/12582776
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Re: A REAL Reason to Avoid a Smart Meter

Another step towards us being under control.

I believe we will all have to be vaccinated and micrchipped like dogs one day too.

We will be fed some rubbish like 'helping to track missing persons', or 'tracking crime quicker', and ' it's all for our own good' and so on, when secretly they want to know everything about everyone's private lives as a means of spying and control.
Then one day a nutty Professor will press a button and eliminate sections of society he doesn't want, and only keep those that are useful to him.

Future generations will be living in a world of Sci-Fi.

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:25 AM

I don't have a problem with it. Some appear to do so.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:36 AM

Look, if a person don't go round, poking their nose into other folks business, why is it not a problem, if an "unknown" person or device pokes their nose into yours?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Look, if a person don't go round, poking their nose into other folks business, why is it not a problem, if an "unknown" person or device pokes their nose into yours?
What is your issue?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

Exactly, Spitty.
We wouldn't tolerate it if total strangers came knocking at our doors every day, repeatedly asking questions about our households and private lives, so why do people think it's ok for a bit of machinery or microchip to do it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:00 AM

The invasion of privacy has always been the issue with me and is the main reason why I won't have a smart meter.
But like a vaccine for covid, I think they are inevitable....
The sooner the world wide web has a heart attack and dies, the better....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I don't have a problem with it.
Me neither
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

07-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The invasion of privacy has always been the issue with me and is the main reason why I won't have a smart meter.
And I don't have an issue with mine. That's not a problem.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 11:27 AM

Really can't see the problem with companies knowing what electric appliances one has and then creating and offering improved versions. After all, you're not mandated to buy them.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top