Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:40 AM

Re: So much of life depends on choices and giving others a chance

Keezoy you live in the lucky country where the sun shines most days !

Very interesting thread Minx !
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Keezoy you live in the lucky country where the sun shines most days !

Very interesting thread Minx !
I agree the weather is great more often than not. To the point during the middle of some summers and bushfires, many of us wish we had the cold and rain of an English winter. But it all evens out in the end I guess. All I want is to stay healthy for as long as I can. Rail, hail or shine.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Much as you may make choices, there comes a time when those choices are spoiled by others through no fault of your own and pure neglience on the part of the spoiler.
The case I'm thinking of, is the choice by UK women to retire from work, make plans, travel, buy homes, whatever they choose.............to find the UK government has delayed their Government pension (into which they have paid all their working lives) and the choices you thought you had, are gone!

It's not just wrong. It's theft!

Much as I'd like to be dreamy and think about choices - giving others a chance............. realistically.......it's crap!

Sorry!
That’s just so awful. So some women have placed reliance’s on receiving a benefit that did not materialize? That’s extremely unfair. I’m sorry.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'm not too sure about that .... women wanted the same status as man ... and in the main they got it.
Some would then say ... Why should women retire earlier? The only snag was that instead of lowering the chaps retirement age they raised womens instead... and are now raising both,together.

Life ... ? ... you make your choices best you can and usually overlook something anyway.
The knack just seems to be to remain resilient as long as you can, to deal with what Life throws at you. You see so many downtrodden people whose spirit has been broken for one reason or another. Most manage to pick themselves up, some poor sods are never the same again.
Life is cruel.
So best to just have faith in yourself, rely on yourself and hope for the best.
Women confront a unique set of challenges as they strive to save for retirement and ensure their income lasts a lifetime.
Some of these unique challenges include longer life expectancy than their male counterparts. Also, on average, women experience lower lifetime earnings than men due to lower salaries. This is further complicated by the responsibilities of motherhood which could mean disrupted work histories and more time spent in part-time jobs.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-10-2020, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
What a lively thread this is!...Thanks for starting it Minx. Makes a great change from Brexit. But choices?...We all (residents of first world countries) have them. Especially those that have enough time to sit and chat in a forum. Whenever I feel like being dictatorial, aggressive and obnoxious, I take some time to think about how lucky I am to have choices at all. And how I could be sitting in a shackled line with an AK47 or a knife held over me living on a bowl of rice a day. I appreciate the choices I have and respect those of others if they don't try to bully me. I am a homemaker and have been since I retired. My wife still works full time in a demanding profession and I enjoy looking after her and my student son. We've all worked hard and made good choices I think. But we still feel lucky. But then again we are just simple colonial pigs who wouldn't know sh*t from clay until the brick fell apart. What the hell does it matter what we think. One of these days maybe we'll get real. But at least we've got some manners.
Yes, we are privileged to have the opportunity to make choices. Thanks for the reminder- some people don’t have the luxury of making a choice and have life thrust upon them.
It’s good to see life from a different perspective .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Women confront a unique set of challenges as they strive to save for retirement and ensure their income lasts a lifetime.
Some of these unique challenges include longer life expectancy than their male counterparts. Also, on average, women experience lower lifetime earnings than men due to lower salaries. This is further complicated by the responsibilities of motherhood which could mean disrupted work histories and more time spent in part-time jobs.
And I'm sure most women face those challenges, knowing those challenges exist and still opt for motherhood and career ..... and other women's lives end up that way if their husband becomes unfit for work, or redundant and they become the sole or higher earner...or single, divorced or widowed.

Other women enter professions nowadays ... or the civil service, become politicians, doctors. Women have as much get up and go as chaps and avenues to explore their own ambitions and talents.

To argue a case for poor oppressed women is a bit outdated now , at least in the UK and other developed western countries.
Everyone seems to want to have an axe to grind relating to injustice or something to blame which held them back in life.
In reality ... we probably all have one.
Life isn't fair. For anyone.
Oh, I've got to say it. All Lives Matter.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 02:12 PM

People have not paid in to anything.

All they have done is buy a %age of the amount that the government allocates to the state age related benefit which is calculated each year and funded from annual tax contributions.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
And I'm sure most women face those challenges, knowing those challenges exist and still opt for motherhood and career ..... and other women's lives end up that way if their husband becomes unfit for work, or redundant and they become the sole or higher earner...or single, divorced or widowed.

Other women enter professions nowadays ... or the civil service, become politicians, doctors. Women have as much get up and go as chaps and avenues to explore their own ambitions and talents.

To argue a case for poor oppressed women is a bit outdated now , at least in the UK and other developed western countries.
Everyone seems to want to have an axe to grind relating to injustice or something to blame which held them back in life.
In reality ... we probably all have one.
Life isn't fair. For anyone.
Oh, I've got to say it. All Lives Matter.
Shit happens, get used to it !!

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
People have not paid in to anything.

All they have done is buy a %age of the amount that the government allocates to the state age related benefit which is calculated each year and funded from annual tax contributions.
The flaw in your statement Todgy, is that you said they paid for it??
Does'nt that contradict your previous sentence ???

Donkeyman! 😁😁😁
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The flaw in your statement Todgy, is that you said they paid for it??
Does'nt that contradict your previous sentence ???

Donkeyman! 😁😁😁
No. Not unless I made a typo.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top