Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 11:00 AM

Re: Your first Job after leaving School.

Office Junior and telephonist using a 5_line PABX switchboard - can't tell you how many times I "pulled the plug" by mistake and cut people off

I also had to make tea in a massive teapot three times a day and take it round on a tea trolley - I hated doing that and couldn't understand why everyone got so excited about a cup of tea !

I was 15 and got paid £3.15.0 per week less 7/6d N.I. stamp ... mother took £3 and I had the 7/6d to spend.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My first job was as an apprentice fitter at the local coal mine, but just turned 15 and not allowed down the pit until 16, I was put to work in the yard putting bolts into fishplates for the underground rail tracks and drying sand for the locomotives (dry sand was fed under the wheels to give extra grip in the wet). Both jobs were mind numbing but at least it paid £2.17s.6d a week, of which Mum generously let me keep ten bob....
That was good money then Barry, my wages was £1 and five shillings and I was let keep the five bob. Interesting how in those days the young workers handed up the bulk of their earnings to help out the family.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 11:26 AM

I also left school just after my 15th birthday. My Dad took me for my interview in an office and agreed my wage of £3 a week for 45 hours and
5 and a half days. Wage to keep the same until I was 18 when it went up
to £5 a week
Office junior work like some of you on here, doing the dreg things
I always wanted to type and they wouldn't let me touch a typewriter or
the PABX board either. Think I had the dreaded lurgie or something
Mum got half my wage so richer than some of you but I had to buy
my own shampoo and soap
Needless to say I became independent and left that job at 17 when I found
out my younger sister was going to get a job nearly double my wage for less hours. Adios to that parlava.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
That was good money then Barry, my wages was £1 and five shillings and I was let keep the five bob. Interesting how in those days the young workers handed up the bulk of their earnings to help out the family.
That's true Jem, it was a matter of pride to be able to pay your way, unfortunately these days the opposite seems the norm. Some of my grandkids are on two or three hundred quid a week but give their parents barely a pittance....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 12:11 PM

My mates and I stayed on for the fifth form, did a couple of 'O' levels and went to nightschool to learn shorthand typing.

My first job was as secretary to the shipping manager of a global company in the City, the pay was excellent and they paid towards the fares.
It was a very posh company. We had a German Countess and a couple of Majors in our office..all of whom had to be properly addressed.
We girls were not allowed to wear trousers!

I was happy to leave when I got married, I hated the trawl on the underground.
I then worked for the Royal London, in the local office, much more friendly
and near home.

I remember my mum taking about a third of my pay but as there were five of us working there was plenty coming in and we were all saving furiously, for weddings and deposits.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 12:37 PM

My first job at 16 was as a messenger boy at The Evening Standard in Shoe Lane, just off Fleet Street.

I'd been doing all kinds of jobs in my own time for years so I don't really know what I was expecting at first because I was shown around and met messengers at the interview.

I remember turning up with pin-striped trousers, shirt and tie but soon found that was a bit uncomfortably with all the heaving and humping but then I took over the "Express Run" which meant I had a designated route with daily deliveries and some collections in both the Standard's offices and the Daily Express building in Fleet Street.

This meant I had to be smart because I saw mostly high-flyers, including Editors and the big chief - Lord Beaverbrook.

I enjoyed the job but the Print then was run by SOGAT and NATSOPA so you had to join the Union and the Union decided what job you were destined for and my Union - SOGAT - decided I was Filing Clerk material so I got the job in a Picture Library of the Standard, dealing with the stock mainly and then at the beck and call of the Picture Editor later on.

Although I did actually enjoy that job I could see that I'd never get farther up as it was a question of waiting until someone died and I was well back in the queue.

I decided I wanted something else but still in photography so I moved on and I ended up as a trainee Photographic Processor in Covent Garden.
Can't really say I regretted it but I do often wonder where I'd have got to in The Standard - or the Express. stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 12:44 PM

After school and 'A' levels, I studied Electrical engineering at Uni.

I've been lucky enough to have good well paid jobs, but during my student days, I worked at all sorts of summer and part time jobs - council worker, postman at Christmas, repairing amplifiers etc.. in a musical instrument shop. This taught me a valuable lesson - never confuse the person with the job they do!

I stayed on at Uni and worked in the Atomic & molecular physics dept, designing and building experimental rigs for the Phd students. After a while I moved into computer engineering with a large multi-national company and later still into software development for industrial and commercial clients.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Saturday job at Boots the chemist...When I didn't know what people were asking..I would say ''What's it for?''

This jumped up and bit me on the bum when someone asked for a tube of KY jelly!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Saturday job at Boots the chemist...When I didn't know what people were asking..I would say ''What's it for?''

This jumped up and bit me on the bum when someone asked for a tube of KY jelly!!
My first reaction to your post Lilac was "What's it for?" because I serious never heard of it, that's how naive I can be on medical and other stuff, then I looked it up and was glad I never asked. Phew! what a narrow escape.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2014, 02:21 PM

Boots girl here too! Apprentice dispenser, the first week I had to walk miles to work because the buses were on strike! I quite enjoyed learning how to make suppositories and creams, ointments and medicines. A bit different to nowadays, there was mercury ointment, chloroform & morphine tincture, lead and all sorts of weird & wonderful stuff. Not what I would have chosen though, I had choice of that or hairdressing. What I would've liked was acting or window dressing! The first thing I bought with my wages was a black skinnyrib sweater, I thought I was the bees knees!
The head dispenser would chase me with a hairbrush if I was naughty and stand on a stool holding his trouser legs while I caught mice and chloroformed them!
I once shook a carboid full of cough medicine (about 2 litres) and the top flew off, the manager got it right in the back of his neck, he yelled, "What was that!" I was laughing so much I couldn't say, "Tixylix"...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top