Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:04 PM

Re: You've Won ! Scams

I cant understand yet even though I am older than most on this site
why you would think you have won a lottery in Canada when you have
never bought a ticket or even any lottery ticket.
I can imagine one of these could get you excited but when you
start receiving a hundred a week I think my old brain would
click on that it couldn't be true especially when I was giving them
money. Isn't that gambling not winning?
I would think some kind of information leaflet regarding this subject
should be put in the letter we get every year as pensioners that
we will be receiving our Fuel allowance soon. The Government
could add another letter in the envelope - surely
I know I am a gambler and go to the bingo but I go willingly
knowing I could lose as well as win. To me I spend as
much as I can afford and that's it.
I am sorry for these people and wish something could be
done about it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I cant understand yet even though I am older than most on this site
why you would think you have won a lottery in Canada when you have
never bought a ticket or even any lottery ticket.
I think with some people it is greed the prospect of 'getting something for nothing'..
Common sense tells me..
I have not entered any competitions or lotteries so can never win anything.
Some person I don't know is not going to give me something for nothing.
If I want to give to a charity it will be a 'one off' and done at a time of my choosing. I do not need prompting.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
The other thing that should be outlawed is companies passing on yer details
This just isn't right !
I'm always amazed they are let do this by law, every organisation seems to be at it these days, and when you have to complete applications for anything more and more personal questions are being asked, it's all getting out of hand and should be stopped now.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 12:30 PM

Patsy the PO staff have been telling customers for years about these scams but do they take any notice NO!! My ex partner worked for the PO for many years and often tried explaining to customers about these scams but they just carried on regardless.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 02:12 PM

Royal Mail has to deliver all addressed mail, but you can opt out of having unaddressed mail delivered, I don't know how efficient it is, but you have to apply for a form.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 03:01 PM

Those scam 'you have won' mail, I shove the reply letter in the return envelope. I write on the form that says send cash to receive the win, " please deduct the fee from my winnings please. As I am a bit short at present.".
I have post box just across the road so it's no effort.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Im the same as BowieEyes and Meg.

In some cases I understand that people cannot say no to the terrible pictures of maimed children and animals that drop on their mat and if its the plight of the innocents and the suffering of your fellow human that move you to donate to what amounts to a fake charity then yes I feel sorry for those people.

But I know full well that I have no family in Africa and I would never want to profit from someone elses misfortune so when I get the *dear cousin please pay the few pounds tax and I will give you 10,000* or *you have the winning ticket* I know even if it were true I have no right to claim.

In my mind if you know that and still think you can scam a few quid then your greed is your own downfall.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Royal Mail has to deliver all addressed mail, but you can opt out of having unaddressed mail delivered, I don't know how efficient it is, but you have to apply for a form.
I speak from experience so I know it only stops junk mail temporarily. I rang the PO up in Northampton and I stopped getting it when our regular postman was on but even he began delivering it after a while.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 03:29 PM

Well I can understand it from the victims view
Jean would have been suckered in for sure, so pleased she wasn't got at
She did send a donation to a cat charity and her details were of course passed on
She had plenty of letters from charities and phone calls - its very wrong, some people are just plain 'vulnerable'
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2015, 04:55 PM

My wife used to donate to the PDSA. After that they kept pestering her with mail and phone.
I answer the phone most times, and I just say she is not in.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top