Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Re: How far would your country have to push you before you up and left ? Or would you sta

I left 4 years ago and would never go back to the UK to live. Tony Blair's government had a lot to do with it...
However, it is within the realms of possibility that I will change countries once more if this bloomin' weather doesn't get any better...
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Re: How far would your country have to push you before you up and left ? Or would you sta

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Such as?
start from A - Z - you'll find them!

but the question must be asked -" what specific qualities does an English life style offer that is superior to others"? let's put the weather to one side - the British must be absolutely addicted to bad weather and love every minute of it?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 12:51 PM

The English weather could be worse, but it could be just a bit better, although all the moisture is good for the complexion (e.g. English Rose complexion?)
As for lifestyle, it's hard to generalise and it would depend on individual circumstances. For example, living where I do I am aware that we are pretty fortunate, relatively better off all round than many down South - but we have always been in employment.
The English countryside is so varied and very beautiful - also very green. If you can live in the country (particularly where we are) it is a great lifestyle, most things accessible, but not too near as to be a nuisance - We are only a small country and so parts of England are ruined and much of England is grossly over-populated. On balance, I don't think we in England do too badly considering our size and population. As a country we have a unique sense of humour, sense of fair play and a tolerance which I think other countries still admire.
I would live back in Canada again - no question, summer and winter - but again, not in a city, but rather in the country on the Western side (which is now very expensive). It's very different to England, but magnificently spectacular. The people are very pleasant too and most people appear relaxed and happy with their country. Canadians are also very patriotic and with good reason, I think.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 01:52 PM

I would never leave the UK, if things got too bad for any reason I would just shut myself away in my own little world.
I think I am too old to change or do anything else .
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Meg !!! your never to old to change ....... Now put those old socks in the wash and get a fresh pair ......;0)
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Great line Bags
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-04-2013, 06:10 PM

I think when a country starts treating its own nationals like second class citizens then its time to go. When 'foreigners' can walk right in claim unemployment immediately - be allocated large houses for them and their families and enjoy their own legislative courts then it's time to go.

When foreign beggars abound on the streets of London, where it is difficult to hear English spoken, when the senior members of English society are neglected after putting their all into their country then it is time to go.

When those in Brussels dictate British trade laws and agricultural practices, when poor countries in the EEC can get billion euro bail outs, when fuel bills crash through the roof due to appalling weather then it's time to go.

When being English doesn't mean being Scottish, Welsh or Irish, when a sense of the United Kingdom no longer exists then it's time to go.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

19-04-2013, 07:32 PM

When being English doesn't mean being Scottish, Welsh or Irish, when a sense of the United Kingdom no longer exists then it's time to go.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh? What the heck does that mean? If you are Scottish, Welsh, English or Irish you are NOT English! I am a Brit but I am definitely NOT English!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh? What the heck does that mean? If you are Scottish, Welsh, English or Irish you are NOT English! I am a Brit but I am definitely NOT English!
I don't often agree with you but I do this time ! My husband is Scottish but has lived in Surrey 50 of his 53 years he still proudly says he is Scottish not English.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:24 PM

We left the U K , England to live in what we called our second home after having been on holiday here for 30 years. I could not now go back to England, nothing wrong with the country, I could not cope with so many people and Traffic, the dirt and Graffiti, but thats just part of England, 53,000,000 people and we have just reached the 5,000,000 so there is the problem.
just to put that into perspective, Norway in area is 149,000 sq miles with a population of 5,000,000, Scotland area is 30,000 sq miles with a population slightly larger than Norway

Quite a lot of useles information there , sorry.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top