Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 08:50 PM

Re: Post-Covid Brain fog

I could understand the arguments were it not for the fact that the entire world is grappling with the same issues and applying similar restrictions and local lockdowns etc. The only difference is that over here nobody is ensuring people comply with distancing, masks etc. Once we have a vaccine we will achieve herd immunity. That's what vaccination aims for. You don't need the entire population to be vaccinated to achieve that.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Clearly, I don't .....
Hee hee.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I could understand the arguments were it not for the fact that the entire world is grappling with the same issues and applying similar restrictions and local lockdowns etc. The only difference is that over here nobody is ensuring people comply with distancing, masks etc. Once we have a vaccine we will achieve herd immunity. That's what vaccination aims for. You don't need the entire population to be vaccinated to achieve that.
Indeed ..... for COVID-19, apparently - 60-75% (depending on the R number (2.5–4)) will do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Still, for the UK, that's a possible 47,000,000 .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:45 PM

It doesn't have to be 47m to achieve the same objectives as lockdown etc.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2020, 11:47 PM

It doesn't have to be 47m to achieve the same objectives as lockdown etc.
Any idea how many to achieve the same objectives as lockdown etc. .....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-10-2020, 11:54 PM

Any idea how many to achieve the same objectives as lockdown etc. .....
If you're focusing on protecting those at the highest risk then it's just a proportion of the population and should make a big difference in terms of mortality figures. I don't have the figures. But I'm pretty sure it will be less than 47mil.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Omah, I value your posts.

I think you misunderstand OGF.

He would not wish ill on anyone, he is just being realistic.
Thanks Swim...

Of course I wouldn't Swim....

But I don't want to get in a war of; 'My scientist is better than your scientist'..
Sometimes we abandon common sense after listening to the very convincing theories and forecasts of the latest professor on the news or Internet.

I still maintain that Covid can be compared to the flu virus.
Not HIV which has to enter the circulation...
Not Hepatitis which has to be ingested...
But Flu. Airborne contamination just like covid....And responsible for a similar number of fatalities over the years.

January.......62770
February.....43587
March.........43700
April...........79251
May............67295
June...........39003
July............44490
August........37000
September...36707

Total deaths.....453,803

These figures represent the number of deaths occurring in the UK each month in 2020. (ONS)
January (pre Covid) has the third highest death rate in the year so far despite Covid in April and May.
Deaths from Flu, and natural causes, mainly in the aged. Winter usually takes its toll of the elderly, and hospitals are always packed to the rafters at this time of year....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

12-10-2020, 11:16 AM

BMJ say:

Evidence of the UK’s higher overall death toll during the first wave of the pandemic relative to comparable countries is unequivocal. England had the highest excess all-cause mortality rate among 23 European countries in the first five months of 2020 compared with 2015-19, followed by Spain and Scotland, with mortality being spread throughout the country in contrast to the more localised patterns in Europe.2 England also had the second (after Spain) highest peak of excess all-cause mortality and the slowest fall to normal levels—so the longest period of excess deaths. The contrasts with Norway, Finland, Denmark, Austria, and some eastern European countries, where no excess mortality was observed throughout 2020, are even sharper.

Recent changes to the definition of a covid-19 death in England (from all deaths after a positive test to deaths within 28 days) have reduced the UK’s official covid-19 death toll by 16%.13 But the change doesn’t alter the UK’s poor ranking among European peers. Excess mortality rates based on death certification data2 are more reliable for national and international comparisons than the covid-19 “surveillance” data used for tracking the pandemic’s trajectory.4 Comparisons of excess mortality circumvent differences in how covid-19 deaths are counted and also include deaths from the wider effects of the pandemic.

So where are we now and how did we get here? The overall death rate for England from 1 January to 31 July 2020 was the highest since 2009 (less consistently true also of Wales).5 The year got off to a good start, with a mild influenza season and almost 5000 fewer deaths in England and Wales up to early March 2020 than the 2015-19 average. But in the ensuing five months, there were over 58 000 more deaths than the 2015-19 average, of which almost 52 000 (89%) were related to covid-19.1

Total deaths returned to near normal levels some weeks ago, as they did in other European countries, after which they fell below normal. In the eight weeks to 7 August there were about 1700 (2%) fewer all cause deaths in England and Wales than the 2015-19 average. This welcome respite has a darker side, however, as it suggests many of the earlier deaths had been premature, for which ONS analyses provide further corroboration. It’s unclear whether the increase in deaths in the fortnight to 21 August to above average levels is related to a heatwave or signals a longer term trend.

PHE say:

Weekly excess deaths by date of registration, England.

The trend in total excess deaths by week, in England, since week ending 27 March 2020 is shown in Figure 1. Numbers above each of the columns show the total number of excess deaths and how these compare with the expected number based on modelled estimates for 2015 to 2019. For example, in week ending 24 April there were 10,039 excess deaths and this was almost double (1.96 times higher) the expected number of deaths in this week. When fewer deaths than expected occur in a week, the column is coloured grey.

Excess deaths where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate are shown in orange. If the number of deaths is not shown in the orange part of the column, that means the total excess was less than the number of deaths with a mention of COVID-19, indicating fewer deaths from other causes than expected in these weeks.

The number of excess deaths without COVID-19 mentioned on the certificate (shown in the white part of the column) may be due to an increase in deaths from other causes during the period of the pandemic but may also reflect under-reporting of deaths involving COVID-19.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 11:20 AM

Those who advocate "herd immunity" are not taking into account some of the devastating consequences of being infected and surviving. A friend of mine has developed this symptom after surviving a nasty bout of the disease which did not lead to his hospitalisation. He also experienced psychosis and hallucinations whilst fighting it. Despite having no history of mental illness. He describes having holes in his brain and struggles with memory and thought processes.

I find references to "psychological" causes by some experts insulting. There is a fundamental lack of understanding of such conditions.

"“Brain fog seems like such an inferior description of what is actually going on. It’s completely crippling. I am unable to think clearly enough to [do] anything,” says Nicholson-McKellar, adding that the experience would be better described as cognitive impairment."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hs-after-covid
Ive been suffering from this for at least the last 4yrs Annie !!
And to my knowledge l have never been been infected with the
covid virus ! I put my symptons down to some form of dementia as
it seems to be getting more noticeable over time and is now affecting
not only my memory, but my hearing and sight also !!
However, l am stil functiong allthough l sometimes walk past people
without seeing them??
So maybe some of the people who believe they have been affected
by the virus are only in the same situation as me really ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 12:21 PM

BMJ say:

PHE say:

Weekly excess deaths by date of registration, England.

But your graphs are only superimposing covid figures onto an allready
established death rate Omah !
Taken by themselves they would be lower than for flu?
I believe the higher UK death rate initially was down to our population
having a higher proportion of old and also sickly individuals than
most other countries due to our NHS and welfare systems being more
highly developed than theirs?? Leading to these sickly individuals
succumbing very early in the epidemic ?As time goes on the death
rate should decline as the sickly die off and the general population
becomes healthier as a result ??
I think we will be stuck with covid for some time yet even if we get
a vaccine, and will end up being in the same boat as flu in having
yearly vaccinations? Although this cannot prevent some deaths from
occurring !!

Donkeyman! 😷😷

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top