Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Tile cutters

As a newbie tiler I've managed to do some tiling of splashbacks in my kitchen, but I have yet to find a reliable tool for cutting tiles. I've been looking at both manual and electric with water bath, mainly on Amazon as it is so much cheaper than here in Ireland.
Anyone here with experience of cutting tiles have any advice? Some people have suggested that the manual one is not sufficient, although as I don't anticipate doing lots of tiling in the future I don't want to spend more than I have to.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Re: Tile cutters

If you are only doing a small uncomplicated job then avoid the electric water bath type, my particular one gives me a bath on start up, and takes up a lot of storage space, but is great for complicated cuts, the one it think would be best for you is the type with two metal rails, with the handled cutter in the middle, these vary in cost as per the size you require, but one that takes up to 12" tiles is usually adequate.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 07:17 PM

My old man was a glazier and he just used a glass cutter to cut wall tiles. I used to use a glass cutter for years, but this wasn't up to cutting floor tiles.

I now use the "2 rail cutter" as described by spitfire - there are tricks of the trade to handle complex shapes.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 07:45 PM

The other guys are right Ania, if just for lightweight simple cuts then an inexpensive twin rail cutter should easily cope with the task and yes George, I used a glass cutter for years as well and often still would for the occasional simple cut on lightweight wall tiles.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 08:28 PM

So something like this? -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9U5...I3TWEPIRM37GWE

I have tried scoring them, but to no avail as I can't seem to score deep enough. Can I rely on this type of cutter to do the job? It's only for splashbacks, with awkward light switches etc.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
So something like this? -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001K9U5...I3TWEPIRM37GWE

I have tried scoring them, but to no avail as I can't seem to score deep enough. Can I rely on this type of cutter to do the job? It's only for splashbacks, with awkward light switches etc.
Yes, that's the type of tool Ania, and you could also get yourself some pincers, which are useful for "nibbling" little bits off tile edges to work around such as power points etc.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

25-03-2014, 08:54 PM

Thanks, Barry. I didn't really want to get the water bath one...
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 08:37 AM

You can get fairly inexpensive tile saw blades that fit into a coping saw frame.

These are useful for, say, cutting a square hole in the middle of a tile.saw

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top