Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Plumbing ~ HELP !!!

My kitchen taps have been dripping for years so I'm having new ones.

Had a couple of quotes to fit them and 'we' think we might be able to do it ourselves.

BUT .... I can't find a valve to turn off the hot water

Plumber said it should be near the hot water cylinder (airing cupboard).
OK there are 6 pipes in there and only one is hot and connected to the cylinder.
This one does not have a valve on it but 3 others do

Any suggestions ?

thank you
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Re: Plumbing ~ HELP !!!

Its possible you don't have a tap to turn off the hot water if you have really looked thoroughly? You may have to turn off the cold water tap to the storage tank which probably feeds the hot water tank. Make sure you turn of the hot water heater Gas or Immersion, then drain the tank. Good luck Rachel.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Surely the plumber who fits the taps could sort this for you?
Oh just re read it. You're Doing It Yourself. Is this the same bloke that wrecked your fridge?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Rachel depending on the age of the kitchen, some taps have individual isolation valves under the sink , they look like this.

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 04:03 PM

The mains stop cock would turn off all the water. Should be near the sink area ......... If not, then in the airing cupboard
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 04:32 PM

If their is no valve on the hot water connection or pipe from the cylinder look to see if there is a valve on the cold feed to the cylinder. The cold feed will connect near the bottom.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
My kitchen taps have been dripping for years so I'm having new ones.

Had a couple of quotes to fit them and 'we' think we might be able to do it ourselves.

BUT .... I can't find a valve to turn off the hot water

Plumber said it should be near the hot water cylinder (airing cupboard).
OK there are 6 pipes in there and only one is hot and connected to the cylinder.
This one does not have a valve on it but 3 others do

Any suggestions ?

thank you
The Gate Valve will be on the COLD feed to the cylinder and not on the hot outlet
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Many thanks all
Will relay messages to the unmentionable and report back to you .... later

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Is this the same bloke that wrecked your fridge?
erm .... *whistles nonchalantly*

Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

27-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Spoke with another plumber today and I now know that the valve next to the pipe that comes out of the cylinder IS the one that turns off the hot water ..... yayyyyyyyyyyyyy

and above this we have the valves

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Hurrah!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top