Join for free
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Unemployed? Don't Apply for a Job!

I cannot believe this! Boggles the mind ...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...133143362.html
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Re: Unemployed? Don't Apply for a Job!

What a depressing situation to be in knowing you haven't a hope in hell of getting work. Like you Eileen, I wouldn't have believed it.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 07:45 PM

That's appalling Why should a perfectly capable person become an undesirable employee because they are not in employment. There are some who may not be suitable but all the people who have been made redundant through no fault of there own deserve a chance. The employment situation has become dire and I for one am glad to be retired and out of it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2011, 07:55 PM

The thing is when one is employed in any job it shows a certain amount of ability/ application/discipline which sitting at home does not.

There are often jobs out there if people really want to work, taking these jobs can act as a springboard to better things

I know, I have been there. As a 'single mother' (I was widowed when my son was small) I was prepared to do any job to support my son and to get him through University. At one point I had 5 different part time jobs at one time in which I built a reputation as being reliable and contentious.

I could of course have refused to do menial jobs like working nights in a nursing home, but I made the best of things and worked hard then progressed to better things . My reward was seeing my son graduate
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2011, 01:13 AM

Alarming to think that attitude is prevalent among employers. Last time we were hiring I had over 300 applications and yes, I look for gaps in employment, but anyone with good past experience deserves an interview and a chance to discuss why they may be out of work.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2011, 09:26 AM

That is a good excuse for the lazy out of work benefit grabbing people, ' No good applying for a job sir I will be refused '.
Hell
wolverhampton uk
Hell is female  Hell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2011, 07:28 PM

I was made redundant at the end of April, I have worked for 15 years in a college environment as a tutor and careers adviser, prior to that I worked for several years teaching youngsters who had been excluded from school. This along with years of experience with children and adults of all ages....I have applied for hundreds of jobs since being made redundant but to no avail....I am 57 and considered too old...or over qualified.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hell ->
I was made redundant at the end of April, I have worked for 15 years in a college environment as a tutor and careers adviser, prior to that I worked for several years teaching youngsters who had been excluded from school. This along with years of experience with children and adults of all ages....I have applied for hundreds of jobs since being made redundant but to no avail....I am 57 and considered too old...or over qualified.
Hell that's dreadful, I was made redundant at the age of 59 and after applying for a few jobs with no luck decided to tighten my belt, call it a day, and retire a few months early.
The article states...
Hundreds of job opening listings posted on Monster.com and other jobs sites explicitly state that people who are unemployed would be less attractive applicants, with some telling the long-term unemployed to not even bother with applying.
I don't consider you to be 'long term unemployed', you are the 'recently made redundant' and I think that is a different thing.
I hope you find something soon...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hell ->
I'm 59 and out of work. I have a part-time job to start as soon as my CRB clearance comes through but at the moment it's over 7 months for me and 169 applications with about 17 interviews since December 2010.
I'm deaf so that excludes me from many jobs but there is plenty of discrimination anyway for the unemployed and more jobs are being taking by those seeking a change or immigrants than the long term unemployed yet nobody in power will admit to it in the UK.
There are also many, many jobs advertised online that don't actually exist - why I just don't know. That's on top of jobs that appear time and time again that do not seem to get filled; I've noted 47 in 7 months and they are even worded identically every time. Why?
The truth about UK Unemployment now is that the jobs on offer do not match the skills of the vast majority of job seekers. There are also far too many managerial positions and it really does not make sense to me with millions unemployed and the economy barely ticking over. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top