Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2011, 11:32 PM

Re: Traditional Signs of Winter

That makes me wonder if we're losing a lot of folklore? I just assumed everyone knew this stuff .....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Rain, cold, snow, dark days, all a sign that winter is here beit January, April, July, September.

Mags, we have had bad winters for the last two years and they both started at the end of October through to April, we did not get notice of a bad winter with a warm November.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Well I've not heard any of those sayings either, though I liked them lol.
I usually watch the Mountain Tops for signs of Snow. They get it before we do...........but not long after There are some where the Snow stayed all this year.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Here in the States we have a caterpillar, larva of the Isabella moth, called the wooly bear. It has 3 bands of color, two black at the ends and rust in the middle. Supposedly the bigger the rust part the milder the Winter, the more black, the harsher. I haven't seen one yet this Autumn ......
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2011, 07:43 PM

I have to add, that I too, haven't heard of some of these sayings either. Very interesting to read though.

The only one I know is:- red sky at night, shepherds delight etc.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Not winter, but the swallows lining up to chat on the telegraph wires is supposed to be the end of summer. I think they are discussing their routes to Africa and where their stop-off points will be.

I'm pleased to report they are still soaring and swooping this morning and don't seem to be planning their exit yet
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

09-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Of course, the geese flying South .......
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2011, 06:39 PM

enough ice to hold a duck before christmas usally brings a wild winter, forget the rhyme LOL

have tons of berries on my holly, badly needs culling if anyone wants to come a cull it
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Two more signs of summer drawing to a close

- Last Night of the Proms (tonight)

and

- I've just been to fish my brisket pan out from the back of the cupboard and dusted off the lid (in fact I've dusted it and then come in from the kitchen to type this, rather than chopping onions, which I should be doing!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

10-09-2011, 04:12 PM

This is a personal sign of approaching Winter: getting out the thermal underwear!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top