Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Something fishy

We're doing some work in our house that meant stripping back the plaster & lath round a window.
Below the window cill, we found what appears to be a preserved fish skin (shagreen ?) wrapped in neatly folded (though decayed) brown paper.
Our next door neighbours found a shoe in a wall in their house. I gather that this is quite common,
but a fish skin? The window is in the 'modern extension' - built in 1896. The original house dates from
the early 1800's.

Any ideas ? It seems that it must have been placed there deliberately during the building. Nobody round here seems to know about such traditions - even my neighbour who is a qualified surveyor and archeologist, is puzzled.

Strangely, the area was historically called 'Fishtown', but this had nothing to do with fish.
It was a corruption of the Gaelic name meaning 'town by a moss burn'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Re: Something fishy

Over the years people have placed varies tokens in the fabric of houses in the process of being built usually to ward of spirits or to bring luck.

Mummified cats were used as a protection against witches and vermin and shoes were used to trap spirits.
Coins were hidden to bring prosperity. George perhaps your house once belonged to a fisherman and the fish skin was a lucky token to bring a good catch
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 04:39 PM

A good point Meg. We are a few miles from the sea so I doubt if there were any fishermen in the village, but since the general area was heavily dependant on fishing and farming, a token to bring prosperity seems possible.

I know that there was a bookbinder, several shoemakers, blacksmiths etc.. and a locally famous fiddle player too, living in the village at one time.

Here's the village c.1920. My house is the one on the right.
[IMG]
[/IMG]
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 05:40 PM

oh sounds a bit spooky to me .... are you sure it was just fish skin!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

17-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Well I suppose that it could have been DRAGON !
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Actually it could have been Human.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire

17-09-2012, 01:22 PM

With scales?? - no I don't think so.
It liiked the right shape for a fish and the colour (what I could make out) looked possibly like a small cod or possibly wrasse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Well I suppose that it could have been DRAGON !
....George , I think you would really need to be in Wales to find a dragon
...maybe it is a scaly haggis
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 06:29 PM

You made me curious George so I mentioned it in the pub at lunchtime, all of the other old lads never heard of it before but one (There's always one isn't there.) chap in his eighties said it was an old custom in these Islands. He went on for quite a while and I was beginning to regret asking him in the first place, but I have condensed what he said very considerably to the following and knowing him it is by no means gospel.
Fish skin was used for centuries on the coasts of Ireland and Scotland as a deterrent to keep invaders out, it was an old Celtic tradition, it was soaked in oil and wrapped in leather then secreted somewhere in the inside wall of the building, it was also found in some outside walls. the custom was carried through right up to the present in some areas using brown paper instead of leather. To make fish of one and flesh of the other may have something to do with it, the "Fish" in this case being the invader.
Modern use of fish skins may be used to keep Mother in laws at bay as they might sometimes be classified as "Invaders" in the home.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 06:42 PM

Well researched Jem, I must say that in a lifetime of working on old buildings I have found all sorts of things built into walls to keep evil spirits away, but never a fish skin. Having said that though, we are seventy miles from the coast and maybe a gudgeon or a roach wouldn't quite cut the mustard with the spirit world...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top