Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 08:54 PM

Re: Shepherd's pie variations?

Ok so I did try with the fancy piping, honestly I did!

I am baking a fish pie tonight and lopped some mash into the piping bag I have complete with stainless steel star fancy piping thingy. So for about five seconds it piped out some lovely fancy groovy spuds and then it all went into gridlock. So I thought, well I just have to squeeze the constipated piping bag a bit harder, I mean I have a recently healed hand injury and my GP said today I should use it more, maybe get a stress ball.... So I put in all my effort and superhuman (haha) strength. Well it worked too well because the dratted stainless steel, fancy attachment flew off into deepest (kitchen cabinet) space and I was left with a very unfancy mashy mess.

Anyway the result is that I went back to my comfort zone of "spoon and smooth" and put in "pretend fancy" forking grooves! I did brush the end result in beaten egg as suggested and covered with a smattering of grated cheddar. Looking forward to the end result. But I may watch a you tube video or two before using that piping bag from hell again!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 08:59 PM

fancy groovy... pah

who are you trying to impress?
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Hope you enjoyed the result of your labours, Annie. When making fish pie I often put a layer of crunched up cheese & onion crisps on top - tasty.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
Hope you enjoyed the result of your labours, Annie. When making fish pie I often put a layer of crunched up cheese & onion crisps on top - tasty.
Cheese and onion crisps? Now that is an interesting idea! Yep it was very tasty thanks
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2019, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ok so I did try with the fancy piping, honestly I did!

I am baking a fish pie tonight and lopped some mash into the piping bag I have complete with stainless steel star fancy piping thingy. So for about five seconds it piped out some lovely fancy groovy spuds and then it all went into gridlock. So I thought, well I just have to squeeze the constipated piping bag a bit harder, I mean I have a recently healed hand injury and my GP said today I should use it more, maybe get a stress ball.... So I put in all my effort and superhuman (haha) strength. Well it worked too well because the dratted stainless steel, fancy attachment flew off into deepest (kitchen cabinet) space and I was left with a very unfancy mashy mess.

Anyway the result is that I went back to my comfort zone of "spoon and smooth" and put in "pretend fancy" forking grooves! I did brush the end result in beaten egg as suggested and covered with a smattering of grated cheddar. Looking forward to the end result. But I may watch a you tube video or two before using that piping bag from hell again!
That made me laugh Annie, I can picture you getting all flustered - and the language.... well!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
That sounds tasty - must try it next time I make a cottage/fish pie.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've been making Shepherd's pie recently for the first time in my life. It's been really yummy. I've been using this recipe for "no fuss shepherd's pie" from the BBC site :

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...-shepherds-pie

It's really easy and goes down a treat. I was just wondering whether forum members had their own special variations that really make the perfect shepherd's pie. Please share ideas as I'd love to try them next time.
Annie, really pleased you enjoyed your Shepherd's Pie,
It's a long-time favourite in this family.

Not a lover of minced Lamb myself so always make Cottage Pie instead. I know the experts say one should buy mince with some fat in it for the perfect SP or CP, but I buy Minced beef with only 5% fat content as it's healthier.

Honestly, I haven't got the patience to pipe on the potato or sometimes potato/swede mash on top. If I have family coming, I usually buy a large beef tomato, cut it into slices and layer them around on top as they look attractive when cooked. a sprinkling of dried parsley finishes it off but only put that on 5 minutes before end of cooking.

May you enjoy many more delicious shepherd's or cottage pies. You have missed so many!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That made me laugh Annie, I can picture you getting all flustered - and the language.... well!
It was hilarious Mags. Even the dog was hanging around hoping for some bits to fly in his direction.

I will have a look around for some disposable bags in the supermarket. I'm sure it's easy as pie once you get the hang of it....in my case after about 50 false starts
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, really pleased you enjoyed your Shepherd's Pie,
It's a long-time favourite in this family.

Not a lover of minced Lamb myself so always make Cottage Pie instead. I know the experts say one should buy mince with some fat in it for the perfect SP or CP, but I buy Minced beef with only 5% fat content as it's healthier.

Honestly, I haven't got the patience to pipe on the potato or sometimes potato/swede mash on top. If I have family coming, I usually buy a large beef tomato, cut it into slices and layer them around on top as they look attractive when cooked. a sprinkling of dried parsley finishes it off but only put that on 5 minutes before end of cooking.

May you enjoy many more delicious shepherd's or cottage pies. You have missed so many!!
SG I cannot believe I overlooked the wonders and comforting qualities of cooking shepherd's pie in my previous culinary efforts. I associated it with unappetising school dinners as we never had it made from scratch at home, when I was a child my mum occasionally bought an M&S ready meal version but those taste nothing like real home cooking.

A sliced beef tomato on top sounds delicious. I will try that next time.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2020, 03:53 AM

I'm new at this but perhaps I could make a suggestion ? I made my mashed potatoes BEFORE I made the beef (cottage pie) with onions, celery carrots, Worcestershire, and red wine. I added two kinds of cheese to the mashed potatoes and beat it in well. At this point the potatoes were quite thick. I set them aside to cool. This made it much easier to put the potatoes in a piping bag. Generally. I put the bag in a large mug and slip the sides of the bag over the mug rim. Now I have a free standing holder for the bag. Quite simple and easy to do. When squeezing and twisting the mashed on the beef, I don't get my hands too hot. The oven will heat the potatoes to piping hot and make a crisp topping. Also I do not attempt to completely cover the cottage pie with the cheesy potatoes. Instead I make individual mounds to let the steam escape which helps keep the potatoes from becoming too soaked. As I said I'm only a beginner but it seemed to work well for my first attempt.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top