Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Grumble's little greenhouse

Not wanting to hijack a thread, here's my 'make do and mend' greenhouse. It originally was a much larger one that was wrecked by a storm and I saved its remains from being dumped. I cut down the frame and salvaged as much glass as I could. It was quite easy cutting the glass to size and I didn't need to glaze the back (which is against a south facing wall). The stageing is made from scrap timber.

Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Re: Grumble's little greenhouse

I would prefer one like this as it's all together and easy to maintain
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 05:41 PM

You've made a neat job of that. Mr A would be impressed, he loves recycling stuff, or upcycling I think they call it now
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 05:58 PM

Well done I like to see upcycling and recycling. The greenhouse is really neat, Well Done.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 07:02 PM

I have a good mitre saw that I fitted with a fine tooth blade to cut the metal sections accurately. My father used to be a glazier so I had a good idea of how to cut the glass properly.

He had two 24x12 foot iron framed greenhouses that he was given and glazed himself free using a consignment of glass that had been damaged and was scrapped by the carriers insurance. One of them had a grape vine that grew the entire length of it. He grew a large amount of grapes and attempted to make wine. It was disgusting!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Well done! I'd love one like that!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Great job George, nice and neat.
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I have a good mitre saw that I fitted with a fine tooth blade to cut the metal sections accurately. My father used to be a glazier so I had a good idea of how to cut the glass properly.

He had two 24x12 foot iron framed greenhouses that he was given and glazed himself free using a consignment of glass that had been damaged and was scrapped by the carriers insurance. One of them had a grape vine that grew the entire length of it. He grew a large amount of grapes and attempted to make wine. It was disgusting!!
now I'm envious LOL When I moved to my wee flat, I wanted the biggest greenhouse that would fit into the corner of the garden and I could only manage a 8'x6', it's high eaves and I need to use a step stool to reach the top. My idea was that if I ever decided to give up using the greenhouse for growing things, I would put a comfy chair and a table in it and enjoy it as a detatched conservatory LOL. I have a table & chair in it now but not very comfy. I love sitting with a cup of coffee watching the tomatoes grown
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Hi there! I see that you've placed your amazing recycled greenhouse next to a high wall... What is it's aspect ? I ask because I have a small space next to a 12 foot beech hedge in a North facing garden with a slightly overhanging tree!!! Not ideal I know but I live in hope!!!!
Dozeymare
Kent, UK
Dozeymare is female  Dozeymare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2015, 09:01 PM

Sorry Grumblewagon!!! I should have quoted you !!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top