Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 06:03 PM

Re: The true side of elephant painting

Sorry OP did not mean to ruin your thread but just bring to folks attention what lies behind some of these
practices.

No offence intended.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 06:16 PM

Same here, no offense intended.

It was after viewing the video that I Googled about elephant painting, which led to my post.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 07:03 PM

It is in all innocence that we are enticed into things we are not well enough informed about.

The tourism market entices us to see life and traditions in foreign countries ,but few of us are told the background.

Nobody is casting blame on the original poster, my post was with intent to help to open eyes and hearts, as I couldn't let it pass without .

The OP has nothing to feel bad about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 08:51 PM

I could weep for these beautiful animals.

I can't find the words to explain how I feel about the evil b*****ds who treat them like that.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:17 PM

Yes, tourists are the cause of a lot of animal suffering - e.g. swimming with dolphins etc. It amazes me that people are so lacking in knowledge of what it really takes to get animals to do these so called "amazing feats". Shame and more shame on us, the human race.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Heatherbelle ->
Yes, tourists are the cause of a lot of animal suffering - e.g. swimming with dolphins etc. It amazes me that people are so lacking in knowledge of what it really takes to get animals to do these so called "amazing feats". Shame and more shame on us, the human race.

Quite agree, Heatherbelle.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have visited the elephant sanctuary in Sri Lanka and was not impressed. We were assured by the guide that these animals are rescued and allowed to live their days free but that was not the case. They are all brought out twice a day to be washed by the handlers - just for the benefit of the tourists and there was a baby elephant that was always fed in an enclosure surrounded by screaming kids. You could see it was scared to death. They also had a huge bull elephant that had been blinded who was chained to a post all day apart from when he was taken for a walk to the amusement of the crowd. When chained to the post he would just rock backwards and forwards.

At one point when we were driving, we saw three elephants in the wild, one amongst the bushes eating and two crossing the road. These elephants were totally free and it was special to see it.
Was the elephant sanctuary you visited Pinnawela? We went there quite some years ago now, even then they had a very young baby elephant chained by the leg, so young it was being bottle fed. Most of the other elephants were rounded up and walked through the local village to the river to play or be washed for around half an hour. During our visit there we didn't see any tourists being allowed to interact with the elephants, but that very young baby upset me, it was really distressed. We did see wild elephants in Yala national park and we have of course been amongst wild elephants many times in Africa, (with a few hair raising moments).

I well understand the need for animal sanctuaries and the need for tourists money to keep them going, but no animal should be made to perform tricks for tourists. The cruelty involved in many of these "training practices" is absolutely horrendous.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 10:14 AM

How sad it is that the most cruelty treated animals seem to be at the same time the most intelligent .
The elephant , the orca ,the pig ( we have nothing to be proud of in our own treatment of pigs the fith most intelligent animal on the planet )
All these intelligent sentient beings are aware of their state .
IMO It on a par with slavery but there again we are cruel to our own species so why would we excuse animals ?

I use the word we to describe mankind as a whole .
I suspect and hope that most people here would not dream of being cruel to animals .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top