Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 10:15 PM

Do you have 'free' time

When retired or semi-retired (As I am) I always thought I would have plenty of time to indulge in things like reading the newspapers, listening to BBC / ITV / SKY news reports, engaging in a long pub lunch with a few friends, etc. etc.

But the reality is so much different, take today for instance, got up at 6am made some breakfast, didn't put the Sky News on 'cos SWMBO doesn't like the screachy voice of that women who reads the news. Drove 70 miles to some friends, they gave us a nice lunch, no UK news discussed, they and SWMBO watched a bit of the French open tennis while I took the hounds for a walk, drove 70 miles home, had a meal, watched a favorite old drama on ITV3, just caught the end of one Sky news story, (legionnaires somewhere in Scotland,) fed the hounds, came on here, will be in bed soon

So, how has my NOT watching or reading any news effected what's going on in the world

Answer - Not one jot, not in any way, zilch, no way

I could be wrong of course but my guess is that:-
a) all the wars are still going,
b) all the starving are still hungry,
c) all the cruelty and deceipt that most of the humans on the planet engage in are still being carried out.

I do know that there's an outbreak of leggionaires disease in Scotland, that's the sum total of my 'news input' today.

How much time do you all have for reading, watching, listening, to the huge and never ending media output
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2012, 11:55 PM

Re: Do you have 'free' time

I'll be absolutely honest and say that I don't watch the news on the TV (not switched it on since Christmas 2010) and it's been about 5 years since I bought a newpaper.

I used to soak up every word (apart from politics of which I have no interest whatsoever), but I do occasionally hear of things and will read about them on BBC News online. I do hear some news on my car radio, or on the radio at work in the background, but that's it.

My not reading or hearing the news will have no major effect on world news; however, I do read local news occasionally. It's just all too depressing and frustrating.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:44 AM

I watch the breakfast news and the news at 10pm. I do like to know what is happening out there even if I have no influence or control over it. I don't buy newspapers though, waste of money as far as I am concerned. Would rather read a book.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 10:12 AM

I am fully retired now and when I wake in the morning, I turn on my laptop and the Sky News on the TV. Partly this is my OH's doing because he would run Sky News all day if he could, so, if I am around during the day I tend to home in on the headlines and what interests me.
If I am out in my car the radio is usually on - either local or national. If I were driving 140 miles in one day I would listen to one of the radio channels, rather than a CD or an I-pod. When at home we always turn on for the 6.00pm news and then the regional news after that.
My OH reads newspapers, usually from back to front, but I rarely do - I'd rather listen or watch.
It's habit, I suppose, and I know watching or listening won't have any influence on what is happening - but I just wan't to know. Sad person I am, but I can sometimes be found watching or listening to what is being debated in the House of Commons when something is going on.
Doesn't make the slightest bit of difference - it's just another interest and runs along in the background of the day.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 10:59 AM

How much time do you all have for reading, watching, listening, to the huge and never ending media output
I don't read newspapers but do read bits of news on the BBC website.
My main supplier of news is radio 4 which goes on the moment I wake up I can listen to that while doing other things. I watch Newsnight occasionally.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

It's a matter of choice and priorities, isn't it? Some spend their free time driving to meet friends for lunch, others read the paper. The nice thing about retirement/semi-retirement is that you have more freedom to choose what to do with your time.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 12:10 PM

I watch TV more in the Winter, Never buy Newspapers (read it online) prefer to be outside if I possible can. Only pop online when I'm having a Coffee.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 06:40 PM

I try to avoid bad news as much as possible, but it's not easy when you live in the middle of a big city. My time is (thankfully) my own and when I'm not doing some work or messing about in the shed I entertain myself by watching DVD films, listening to audio books, or if there's something good that I fancy on TV. My two grandsons are regularly with me and I enjoy their company, the wife and me take breaks in the Country whenever we can. Most days I go to the local and natter away with anyone who feels like talking, I am a good listener and respect everyone's point of view. The wrongs of the world are like the weather to me, I can do nothing about them, except moan of course.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 06:42 PM

We catch up with world affairs with Sky News over breakfast, but from experience you only have to watch it once a day. It must drive the presenters crackers, repeating the same stuff hour after hour....
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 06:56 PM

I have Radio5Live on from getting up till after tea and then I turn the radio on again at 10 O'clock till it wakens me up in the night.I used to listen to Radio 4 liked the womans Hour and Afternoon play and the Archers. When we came here we could only get 5Live because of the fells at the back of us and as yet we havent gone Digital in this Area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top