Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 03:41 AM

The land of milk and honey - boomerangs and kangas!

Australia - I still call Australia home as someone once sang.

It's been home for me over the last 37 years - wow how time flies - can't believe that. my kids started their high school education then onto uni - got married - had kids and are still here.

And in many many respects it is a great place to live. It is said to have similar social mores to UK - but social mores are difficult to pinpoint sometimes. I personally would say that we may speak similar engish to Uk but our lifestyles are so so different it is sometimes unrecognizable - even the way we celebrate the sun!! slip slap slop you know?

it is cited as being the most successful multicultural country in the world and I by enlarge agree but there are some cracks in the system and some tensions from time to time and it's all about 'making all newcomers welcome' BUT also conform to 'our norms and mores' whilst allowing the celebrations of cultural differences.

One of our recent tension points is focused on young African males who form gangs in the city and get involved in fighting each other mainly it seems but anyhow causing some social disharmony! and sometimes deaths!

the story attached explains this phenomena much better than I can. Mr Dutton, our minister for Home Affairs [formerly 'immigration and border protection ] features significantly in this article.

this you could call the underbelly of the ' highly successful and happy multicultural society' that Australia has become and is still striving to become?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gy-around-race
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
England
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 06:18 AM

Re: The land of milk and honey - boomerangs and kangas!

Gumbud - does Oz have any cool (as in not hot) areas at all? Does it ever snow - other than on mountain tops?

I really do not know much about it.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Re: The land of milk and honey - boomerangs and kangas!

from the burnt west coast that gets cyclones and heat to the far east who have the snowy mountains and skiing resorts which I am told can be very romantic. We have extreme bush fires at times and occasional earthquakes - usually small! - some of our farming areas have had drought for several years and are now selling off their cattle because they have no feed for them and can't keep buying it!

but the Indigenous peoples have learned how to live with these extremes for thousands of years and so are never to concerned about weather phenomena!

so yes in the far south of WA there are beautiful weather conditions - cold in winter and not very hot in summer. I did consider moving there at one time and going 'bush' as we say.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top