Join for free
Reply
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,338
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 05:14 AM
11

Re: What about EU Expats?

Hi

Why should we be concerned about them?

Well, a lot of them are working for British Companies abroad, they need to be protected, it is in our own interests to do so, our aim is to increase our overseas Trade, not destroy it.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is online now
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17,484
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 11:00 AM
12

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Why should we be concerned about them?

Well, a lot of them are working for British Companies abroad, they need to be protected, it is in our own interests to do so, our aim is to increase our overseas Trade, not destroy it.
Well, having listened to all the many scare stories about the sky falling down, what makes you think that there will remain any British companies working in the EU.

Surely, they will make good on their threats and immediately expel any British companies based in their empire's territories.

Reply With Quote
Purwell
Chatterbox
Purwell is offline
North Herts, England
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5,769
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 11:43 AM
13

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well, having listened to all the many scare stories about the sky falling down, what makes you think that there will remain any British companies working in the EU.

Surely, they will make good on their threats and immediately expel any British companies based in their empire's territories.

When did they threaten that?
Reply With Quote
Rainmaker's Avatar
Rainmaker
Senior Member
Rainmaker is online now
North Midlands UK
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,407
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 02:05 PM
14

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Previous 2 posts sum up the Brexit discussion to me.

There are facts and popularly held beliefs, never the twain shall meet.

The first is full of misinformation of widely held 'beliefs'.......the second a direct link to the truth.
I may be mistaken (but then I often am) but this document, kindly linked to by Swim and put out by the British government, refers to the period of time leading up to Brexit and any implementation period. Not, as I believe Bruce was asking, after Brexit has taken place. So truth it may be and one that I agree we already knew, but it certainly doesn't clarify the position after Brexit that is for certain, which has yet to be decided upon by Europe.

I fully standby my statement in my previous post that Europe have yet to make plans as to what will happen to expats after Brexit, since it was mentioned by Sajid Javed in his statement to the House of Commons and also carried in several of the national dailies I believe.

In addition I standby my opinion that it's not a negotiation but a series of ultimatums from Europe on the basis of take it or leave it. It is impossible to carry on negotiations when only one side wish to negotiate.
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is online now
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17,484
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 02:23 PM
15

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
I may be mistaken (but then I often am) but this document, kindly linked to by Swim and put out by the British government, refers to the period of time leading up to Brexit and any implementation period. Not, as I believe Bruce was asking, after Brexit has taken place. So truth it may be and one that I agree we already knew, but it certainly doesn't clarify the position after Brexit that is for certain, which has yet to be decided upon by Europe.

I fully standby my statement in my previous post that Europe have yet to make plans as to what will happen to expats after Brexit, since it was mentioned by Sajid Javed in his statement to the House of Commons and also carried in several of the national dailies I believe.

In addition I standby my opinion that it's not a negotiation but a series of ultimatums from Europe on the basis of take it or leave it. It is impossible to carry on negotiations when only one side wish to negotiate.
I completely agree.

What is the point of us 'negotiating'? Any proposals put forward are, without exception, rejected by the EU.

This is because they see us as weak and, certainly with regard to our present leaders, we are.

So things will just drag on until one of two things happen.

Mrs Maybe will concede to the EU's demands and we shall be out in name only.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, she respects what she has said in the past: that "no deal is better than a bad deal", and we leave without any deal.
My suspicion is that, should that happen, we'll suddenly see all those hard-faced EU 'negotiators' coming back with some realistic suggestions!
Reply With Quote
Purwell
Chatterbox
Purwell is offline
North Herts, England
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 5,769
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 02:46 PM
16

Re: What about EU Expats?

My suspicion is that, should that happen, we'll suddenly see all those hard-faced EU 'negotiators' coming back with some realistic suggestions!
You most certainly will not.
Reply With Quote
gumbud's Avatar
gumbud
Chatterbox
gumbud is online now
australia
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,736
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 02:47 PM
17

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I completely agree.

What is the point of us 'negotiating'? Any proposals put forward are, without exception, rejected by the EU.

This is because they see us as weak and, certainly with regard to our present leaders, we are.

So things will just drag on until one of two things happen.

Mrs Maybe will concede to the EU's demands and we shall be out in name only.

Or perhaps, just perhaps, she respects what she has said in the past: that "no deal is better than a bad deal", and we leave without any deal.
My suspicion is that, should that happen, we'll suddenly see all those hard-faced EU 'negotiators' coming back with some realistic suggestions!
now that sounds very likely! Britain is stronger and more respected than a lot of people may imagine - we're not dumb fools after all!!
Reply With Quote
JBR's Avatar
JBR
Chatterbox
JBR is online now
Cheshire, UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17,484
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
27-06-2018, 03:03 PM
18

Re: What about EU Expats?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
now that sounds very likely! Britain is stronger and more respected than a lot of people may imagine - we're not dumb fools after all!!
That's good of you to say.

The first thing we should do after Brexit (or even before) is to apologise to our antipodean colonists for turning our backs on you.

We should never have done that.

However, I hope you understand that all of this EU business is the doing of our politicians and not the majority of us.
Reply With Quote
Flicker's Avatar
Flicker
Senior Member
Flicker is offline
France
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,097
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
29-06-2018, 02:00 PM
19

Re: What about EU Expats?

EU citizen in the UK are fed up with the sillyshallying of the UK govt.

First it was an 86 page booklet to be filled in for every EU citizen if they want to stay o n in the UK.
Then it was some thousands of pounds to pay for rights to residency.
Now it is 65 pounds each (half for children), three questions and turning in your passport to the Home Office.

What semi intelligent EU citizen is going to turn in their passports to the UK Home office??? The same one which has instituted this shambles in the first place?

Oh; and pay 65 pounds each for the privilege even tho they may have worked in the UK for years, paid all their dues and were prevented from voting on the very issue that affects them most?

They are not a happy bunch.
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is offline
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 14,338
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
29-06-2018, 02:34 PM
20

Re: What about EU Expats?

Hi

A very rare occasion that I agree with you.

A deal was done, then the UK has put so many conditions on that the EU is retaliating with imposing the same conditions on British Ex Pats.

I have Lodgers, short term, coming from the EU to work in the NHS, both Doctors and Specialist Nurses.

We are now demanding proof of Payment of Council Tax or Utility Bills, irrespective of the fact that they are being paid by the NHS.

It is a nightmare.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.