Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 02:48 PM

Windows 8 Mail

Help please!
I can't paste a link into my mail, and I don't have anywhere to put my contacts.
Any help would be appreciated, I have thought of lobbing £600 of laptop in the dustbin.
Whatever you do never buy windows 8 it takes an awful lot of your patience, if I live to be 100 I will never master it, unless they improve it fast.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Re: Windows 8 Mail

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 when I bought my new HP Compaq laptop and it did take a bit of getting used to but it's running fine with me.

Then again, I don't really do much except browse forums etc so maybe I'm not using it in depth enough to encounter the problems it has.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Wrinkly someone on here has got Windows 8 and thinks it's brilliant but I can't think who, have a look round or shout a bit louder.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 03:27 PM

I've not got it Arthur, still running Windows 7 and using Virgin Media e-mail anyway, but I did find this which may be of some use.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/w...indows-8-mail/

Good Luck !
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 07:30 PM

Hi Alan, i'm on Windows 8 and don't have any problems.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2013, 11:21 PM

Some PC settings and some browsers don't support copying and pasting by right clicking the mouse but you should be able to do it by highlighting the link, pressing Control+C, then going to where you want to paste it and pressing Control+V.

You might find something useful here. (I'm a dedicated Mac user so can't help much with Windows):

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/w...indows-8-mail/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 09:12 AM

We have had years to get comfortable with the Desktop and menu presentation of previous Microsoft operating systems It has stayed more or less the same since Windows 95. So when something completely different comes along, it's not surprising that it can take some getting used to.

I first got a computer just as Windows 95 was coming out. I can remember this seeming not very straightforward to use to start with. I think the situation is a bit the same with Windows 8. Totally strange now but if it stays along the same lines in Windows 9, 10 and 11, the feel will become just as familiar as it is now with Microsoft's previous operating systems. Windows 8 just needs a little learning and persistence in my humble opinion.

Regarding the mail problem, it is possible to copy and paste a link into Windows 8's e-mail program. Copy the link to be pasted, go to the e-mail, click in the message window and press CTRL+V on the keyboard.

One trouble with Windows 8's own e-mail program is that it doesn't support POP mail. It only supports Webmail and IMAP. The link below leads to a page describing the difference between POP mail and IMAP. The page is rated as safe by WOT (Web Of Trust).

http://helpdesk.illinoisstate.edu/kb..._POP_and_IMAP/

I don't use Windows 8's e-mail program for this reason. I have installed Mozilla Thunderbird instead. This works OK on Windows 8. It is also possible to install Windows Live Mail (same as on Windows 7) and use that.

Windows Live Mail comes as part of Windows Live Essentials. It is necessary to untick the options you do not want to install as the installation procedure progresses. The link below leads to a page describing how to install Windows Live Mail. The page is rated as safe by WOT (Web Of Trust).

http://www.trickyways.com/2009/10/ho...ss-replacment/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top