Join for free
Page 52 of 1676 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 552 1052 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 10:32 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I am unsure, I see a bit of me in other folks, and that is off putting, it is reassuring to be a one off, but that may not be the case.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 11:51 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, I freely admit to being bonkers, there’s no shame in that, some of the biggest nut cases in history held high office, all elected by sane people I might add, we need bonker type people around so we can avoid them and tell ourselves that we are completely sane, as a kind of yardstick, there used to be a stigma about having someone bonkers in the family, if the dad was bonkers then the sons and daughters must inherit a bit of it too. If for example I had an Aunt or Uncle who had spent some time in a bonkery, every time I had a row with the wife she would bring it up, saying something like “Ah there yeh go again, talking rubbish, the very same as your old Uncle Charlie, and we all know where he ended up” Yes it’s very hard to shake it off, best to be upfront and admit it on day one as I did when I first met her “Hello Phyllis, my name is Jimmy and I’m bonkers” we’ve lived happily ever after as they say.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 06:39 AM

well you nearly got a 'bonkers' PM in Boris didn't you now!!

any old 'ow as me old granny used to say

Tales from the antipodeas – today sat 7th/9/16 the whole family is away at a wedding leaving me and the step FIL who is incidentally younger than I, alone to cut our toenails. My soul intent today was to get into town and purchase a bottle of bourbon, preferably Cougar from the off license [we call them bottle shops]. However they do not open until 12midday courtesy of the local constabulary so I meandered to see the step FIL and bend his ear.

He however had too much work on [he is an obsessional project man] and could only spare me 30mins!

I departed to the newsagents for a lottery ticket [could be a millionaire by midnight!], then a meander through the only electrical store in town to kill time. If I purchased all the kitchen gadgets there I would have to enlarge the kitchen by three times.

Then finally to Woolworths with its bottle shop! Remember my sole purpose was the purchase of one bourbon bottle. I walked out of WW $50 lighter and finally purchased my bourbon at the bottle shop, and rushed home to relax at lunchtime. Here I sit under the car port with nice sea breezes coming through quite strongly and a temp of 28C – perfect for a few tigheys or two or three. My favorite cool drink for lunch time breezes and evening soirees! The aluminum roof bends and farts in response to the sun driven heat – I think it’s the first law of thermodynamics – OK spittie??

The dogs lay relaxing and the cat too and God is in his heaven. Peace at Last as the Scottish group Blue Nile once sang. Now I am showing my age. It’s got to be better than sex or flying model airplanes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 01:15 PM

I have missed two family weddings over the past three years Gumbud, they weren’t close relatives but the missus and her sisters wouldn’t miss a wedding for the world, they bore me to death, (both) give me a good country wake anyday.
I’m amazed you still have a Woolworths over there, they all disappeared here in the 1970’s, great place to go when I was a boy, my dad would take me in every Saturday morning to pick out a new lead soldier for my collection, I used to love that little treat.
I’m glad you enjoyed your tipple in the lovely surroundings.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-07-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior 2 ->
Talking of bums, I was idly surfing the net last night and I came across some blurb on Jimmy Edwards, he of THE GLUMMS, WHACKO et al.

I don't know why but a phrase loomed large . He had just finished whacking one of the boys at the school & announced he had punished his DUMB CHUM with the NUMB BUM.

Very NON U these days, I also learned that he was gay, who'd have guessed it.
I always liked Jimmy Edwards, that was some moustache he sported, t’would put Hercule Poirot to shame, never knew he was gay, who'd have guessed is right.
I’m listening to the Jeeves and Wooster audio books again, read by Simon Callow, I always get a giggle no matter how many times I listen, Wodehouse was a terrific comic writer, I heard he got mixed up with some Nazi trouble during the war and then settled in America, pity, I love his stuff.
Wooster is talking about a girl who loves herself “She thinks she’s Gods last masterpiece” priceless!, we all knew someone like that in our chasing days.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 05:06 PM

I’m listening to the Jeeves and Wooster audio books again, read by Simon Callow
now there's a name to conjure up some tales "Simon Callow"

I have a copy of his semi-autobiograpy "Love is Where it
falls" - an account of a passionate friendship in which he describes his platonic relationship with Peggy Ramsay his agent during his early introduction to acting in London. For those who love the early years in London of the glorious stage productions of the '80's and onwards you'll find a strangely passionate read!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always liked Jimmy Edwards, that was some moustache he sported, t’would put Hercule Poirot to shame, never knew he was gay, who'd have guessed is right.
I’m listening to the Jeeves and Wooster audio books again, read by Simon Callow, I always get a giggle no matter how many times I listen, Wodehouse was a terrific comic writer, I heard he got mixed up with some Nazi trouble during the war and then settled in America, pity, I love his stuff.
Wooster is talking about a girl who loves herself “She thinks she’s Gods last masterpiece” priceless!, we all knew someone like that in our chasing days.
Everyone knew a few, but like the rest, they were just scanning, and searching, don't mean they found owt, just means they had a bigger audience to sample-Scan/Search from.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-07-2016, 02:54 AM

An Anglo-Saxon riddle apparently

I’m by nature solitary,scarred by iron
and wounded by sword, weary of battle.
I often see the face of war, and fight
hateful enemies; yet I hold no hope
of help being brought to me in battle
before I’m cut to pieces and perish.
At the city wall sharp edged swords,
skilfully forged in the flame by smiths,
bite deeply into me. I must await
a more fearsome encounter; it is not for me
to find a physician on the battlefield,
one of those men who heals wounds with herbs.
My sword wounds gape wider and wider;
death blows are dealt me by day and night.

what am I? - no googling please - back to your school day memories
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2016, 08:48 AM

I don't understand riddles & loathe cryptic clues but this one Gumbud sounds like something from the good book

" We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; & persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed"

Probably barking up the wrong tree, or according to recent comments, just barking.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

10-07-2016, 10:01 AM

I’m useless at English history, but it sounds to me like a warrior in a besieged town, where or who I haven’t a clue. Now had that been in Ireland I would have said it was Hugh Dubh O’Neill and the Cromwellian siege of Limerick in 1651.

Page 52 of 1676 « First < 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 552 1052 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top