Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 09:21 PM

Re: The best film ever made ?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes Lion Queen, I forgot about 'Hacksaw Ridge' brilliant film and what a brave bloke......I'd watch that again and again.....
Me too, the film sent all different emotions through me, it was very well acted also. That man was oh, so brave indeed.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 03:19 AM

It's a remarkably well done and compelling movie, but not an easy watch for everyone.

Lawrence of Arabia (which I would have to put above Shawshank because of its outstanding cinematography and score), Giant, Casablanca, To Catch a Thief, Sound of Music, Shipping News, White Christmas, Out of Africa, Local Hero...

I couldn't possibly choose!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 05:47 AM

The Godfather, North by northwest, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, gone with the wind, there are too many to choose. As good as it gets. Any of the old Hitchcock's. Sound of music, grease, west side story in.musicals. the lord of the rings trilogy, star wars. So many fabulous films. But some of the best are the old black and white movies.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It's a remarkably well done and compelling movie, but not an easy watch for everyone.

Lawrence of Arabia (which I would have to put above Shawshank because of its outstanding cinematography and score), Giant, Casablanca, To Catch a Thief, Sound of Music, Shipping News, White Christmas, Out of Africa, Local Hero...

'Shipping News' seems to be a favourite for many people yet I have never seen it. In fact, I had never heard of it until recently when it was mentioned on a TV quiz. I shall have to watch out for it.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The Godfather, North by northwest, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, gone with the wind, there are too many to choose. As good as it gets. Any of the old Hitchcock's. Sound of music, grease, west side story in.musicals. the lord of the rings trilogy, star wars. So many fabulous films. But some of the best are the old black and white movies.
Yes The Cuckoo's Nest & Hitchcock's Psycho
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Local Hero? Now that is a surprise Surfermom, not everybodies cup of tea....Certainly one of my favourites though...
vinylman65
east coast-u.s.a.
vinylman65 is male  vinylman65 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 05:23 PM

Oh a great one,glad to have it in the collection.
Chardon-B
France
Chardon-B is female 

09-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Yes it was OK but there is so much more .....
Already said..Gone with the wind, One flew over Cuckoo's nest
definatley, love them both. Memoirs of a Geisha, Black Rain, 4 Weddings, Green Mile, Green Book, Bridget Jones !! yip, only film I will repeat watch. Pyscho, Burn before Reading, 3 Billboards, FARGO...
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 08:18 PM

The thing is, to decide on what is the best movie ever made it would have to be determined by a fixed set of criteria don't you think?

(in no particular order)

Music Score
Cinematography
fact or fiction
real life or make-believe
strength of story-line
depth of story-line
usage of colour
usage of sound
usage of props (necessary or just there to help sell the movie)
level of depth actors/actresses put into their part

Now if all the above was used as a standard for what makes the best movie, 3 movies immediately stand out in my mind which covers all of the above, which are Lawrence of Arabia, Dances with Wolves and 2001 a Space Odyssey. Now of some in the above list was removed, naturally is would change alter the selection of movies.

Hence you can see the problem of 'What is the best movie ever made'
Chardon-B
France
Chardon-B is female 

09-03-2020, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The thing is, to decide on what is the best movie ever made it would have to be determined by a fixed set of criteria don't you think?

(in no particular order)

Music Score
Cinematography
fact or fiction
real life or make-believe
strength of story-line
depth of story-line
usage of colour
usage of sound
usage of props (necessary or just there to help sell the movie)
level of depth actors/actresses put into their part

Now if all the above was used as a standard for what makes the best movie, 3 movies immediately stand out in my mind which covers all of the above, which are Lawrence of Arabia, Dances with Wolves and 2001 a Space Odyssey. Now of some in the above list was removed, naturally is would change alter the selection of movies.

Hence you can see the problem of 'What is the best movie ever made'
Of course, and our answers are subjective.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top