Join for free
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 11:12 PM

Sainsbury plants display board.

Being grumpy I find myself spotting errors in shops display & marketing gear.

My current thing is the display boards adjacent to seasonal bedding plants racks.

The boards show an array of colourful flowers,very nice too.

BUT they DO NOT sell any of them.

I identified CLEOME & VERBENA BONARIENSIS for starters.

The staff were no help. I often ask for some item & am told they don't stock it. When I find the item, as I frequently do I march (hobble in fact) them over to where they DO have it, but it's really me doing their staff training for them.

I had this in a charity shop, asking for , I forget what, only to be told have I looked yet.
"No" I said "Thats why I'm asking you" (change of tactics) Oh yes ..........it was cutlery.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 12:52 AM

Re: Sainsbury plants display board.

Sainsburys are appalling for not stocking most of the produce that's on the shelf labels. The worst thing is when they move stuff over that doesn't match the description and maybe has a higher price.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sainsburys are appalling for not stocking most of the produce that's on the shelf labels. The worst thing is when they move stuff over that doesn't match the description and maybe has a higher price.

Thanks for that comment. I have just remembered that on the entrance to car park sign there are PLUM tomatoes boldly depicted.

They of course is NOT stocked, harumppphhh!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 08:16 AM

I don't think sainburys are exactly known for customer service round here, they seem dejected and unhappy. Tesco, wait rose, Morrisons you get a smile and a helpful member of staff in them. So not sure what's going on in sainsburys.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2017, 08:41 AM

It's a shame because Sainsbury's was a good supermarket. They should sort themselves out.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 12:03 AM

The Sainsbury's I go to is nothing like those described in this thread, they are well stocked and do have a good range of plants and also sell a few varieties of plum tomatoes

The staff are always welcoming and friendly, offer to pack the bags and ask if we found everything we were looking for. I'm not keen on Tesco or Asda, I can never find what I'm looking for and it always looks muddled.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-07-2017, 07:21 AM

It really depends on who is managing the store Mags. I go to more than one Sainsbury's and it's just the nearest one that has empty shelves. It must be something to do with their internal targets to ensure they don't have stock left over after a day's trading. Are they franchises?

Tesco and Asda are another matter altogether. Tesco are very ruthless in removing lines that don't sell. Again it's down to local managers. They pulled the soap I was using for years. They stock items in some bizarre locations and refuse to move items that are in the wrong place. (e.g. there were some gluten containing crisps in the "free from" section but they put the gluten free items from the same range in a "healthy foods" section - bizarre). Some tesco branches look after their plants, others do not. I do so hate to see wilted plants on sale. They generally have nice flowers but sometimes they wilt after a couple of days. Asda have some nice plants and their cut roses were perky for nearly two weeks. But they are the worst at stocking food that is past its sell by. I've found items over a week out of date on their shelves. I'd go to Aldi but the one with a car park is miles away.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It really depends on who is managing the store Mags. I go to more than one Sainsbury's and it's just the nearest one that has empty shelves. It must be something to do with their internal targets to ensure they don't have stock left over after a day's trading. Are they franchises?

Tesco and Asda are another matter altogether. Tesco are very ruthless in removing lines that don't sell. Again it's down to local managers. They pulled the soap I was using for years. They stock items in some bizarre locations and refuse to move items that are in the wrong place. (e.g. there were some gluten containing crisps in the "free from" section but they put the gluten free items from the same range in a "healthy foods" section - bizarre). Some tesco branches look after their plants, others do not. I do so hate to see wilted plants on sale. They generally have nice flowers but sometimes they wilt after a couple of days. Asda have some nice plants and their cut roses were perky for nearly two weeks. But they are the worst at stocking food that is past its sell by. I've found items over a week out of date on their shelves. I'd go to Aldi but the one with a car park is miles away.
I agree Annie, a business needs a good manager who ensures his/her staff follows the rules.
Robert Jnr.
UK

01-07-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree Annie, a business needs a good manager who ensures his/her staff follows the rules.
Spot on ladies, after 35 years in retail management I can say that a GOOD manager can add 10% to turnover.

"The right goods in the right place at the right time at the right price in the right quantity"

Bless Gordon Selfridge for coining that mantra adopted
& handed down the generations by successful retailers everywhere

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top