Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:28 AM

Not the 6 o clock news.

What has happened to the cool, calm & collected men & women of the BBC news programme 6-9 AM every morning.

I have long been irritated by the jokes, banter & general silliness. Today they went too far.
Dan & Louise were joined by Steph & and a new blonde sports reporter and were larking about a full 8 minutes before starting on the ACTUAL news. Maybe more, I can’t say because I switched off and came online.

I get the idea of having a male/female presenters theme, it mostly works but today was just silly
I want to hear the news, not their news
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:44 AM

Re: Not the 6 o clock news.

I'm of the same feeling, Rob.
I saw it this morning too and it's just a lot of giggling, as if the boss isn't in yet. While the cat's away.

It seemed to change when Bill Turnbull left and was replaced by that nauseating clever dick Dan Snow.

And those sports presenters hang around that sofa and chat away as if they know what they're talking about. Only Mike on Fridays seems to be genned up on anything regarding sport.

I tend to switch over to Sky News after I've seen the headlines and even they have these guests talking about the papers when they are clearly only there because they provide virtual celebrity status. Michele Newberry, that ex-Falklands navigator and of all people, Chris Akubusi (!) rattling on about childbirth issues etc.

Yeah, even the news has descended into disposable tv now!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 08:31 AM

It was quite ironic, yesterday, subliminal messages maybe.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 08:57 AM

It changed for the worst when 'auntie' decided to dumb down and shift the studio from London to that hugely expensive complex in Manchester. When that happened, they not only lost Bill Turnbull but another serious journalist - Sian Williams (who now fronts Channel Five news in the afternoons).
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Yes I agree with you all.

My Husband and I get fed up with watching it, all they do is lurk about, giggling all the time, its suppose to be the News, that's what we are all waiting to listen to.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 10:05 AM

We are of the same feeling. We watch the news whilst having breakfast, we cannot abide ITV which is even worse than the Beeb so sometimes tune into Sky, which unfortunately can also degenerate into the same farce.

A thing that also annoys me greatly is that there are two of them and have to have alternate sentences even within the same news story. Can someone explain to me what on earth the point of that is?

Although the whole crux of the problem I guess, is that there isn't enough news to fill 24 hours. Wasn't it so much better when we just had half hour bulletins, two or three times a day?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:10 AM

I stopped watching tv news a while ago, the chit chat and opinion I can get elsewhere all I wanted was news.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We are of the same feeling. We watch the news whilst having breakfast, we cannot abide ITV which is even worse than the Beeb so sometimes tune into Sky, which unfortunately can also degenerate into the same farce.

A thing that also annoys me greatly is that there are two of them and have to have alternate sentences even within the same news story. Can someone explain to me what on earth the point of that is?

Although the whole crux of the problem I guess, is that there isn't enough news to fill 24 hours. Wasn't it so much better when we just had half hour bulletins, two or three times a day?
What is that all about? It's as though they can't manage more than one sentence each. Maybe it's like a work-share thing in case one does more work than the other.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:08 PM

I do have bbc breakfast on each morning, but usually it’s background company for me. I find Dan Walker’s laugh irritating.

Don’t watch Sky or ITV breakfast shows, have to say.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:15 PM

Would never think of watching news on T V, listen to Radio 4, much more intelligent and sticks to the topics. Sometimes there are people on there that cant string a sentence together, but not very often

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top